The Wussmachine

I may have to change it's name once I get my 6.5hp, but for now it will do. Did some work on it today.
It has bugged me since I got this thing and today I did something about it. I just cannot believe has high they mounted the fenders on these things to me it is just too ugly.

I cut off the mount tabs on the fork. Found a piece of scrap and welded the tab onto it. Welded the whole thing a lot lower on the fork. It isn't finished but hopefully it will be strong enough to hold the heavy fender on.

And to think just a few days ago this thing was rideable!
Next I need to do the rear.

Last edited:
well I worried about that too. I don't think welding a patch would be that big of a deal, but when I was mocking it up it seems like it will be mostly covered by the new tab mount and cross brace.

I am just really worried the new mount is too thin so this may have to be done over soon. I don't have much metal lying around and i didn't want to use a piece of 1" square tubing. I thought it would be too heavy and odd looking. Plus total overkill for fenders I wish I didn't need to use. Rocks hitting my teeth doesn't sound like fun though.

well that didnt work

here is the pics

I should have just drilled a new hole for the rear fender mount instead of trying to use the hole already there, but I hate drills!

Last edited:
Every time I see this done to a doodle bug it just looks better and better. Nice job man. I need to convince my friend to do it to his.

Looks much better. :thumbsup:

I was lucky and had metal in the garage. My boy found the front bracket in the street, the front one piece strap (that covers the big hole in the fender) is off my old mower and the rear fender aluminum spacer was in a junk drawer. For the rear fender lower mount I just drilled a new hole and bent the mount, you don't see the old hole. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks great Frank!! I think, could be wrong, but it looks like you need a little more heat from your welder. Turn it up a notch and try that. Other than that it looks great. I need to drop fenders also, on two of our DB's.

Looks good, :censure:just when you think your done with a project you want to do something else I guess your never really done, may be this winter again when I can't ride it, then Ill bust out the welder:weld:

not much has changed just riding it. I did modify the fenders again. I cut a radius on the ends of the fenders to trim them up and make them not so heavy and bulky looking. I traced a flower pot to get the right radius and just cut it off. I also cut out a section of the rear fender where the chain was hitting.

I finally got a 6.5hp in the thing today. Man I am loving it already. I didn't take time to shorten the chain properly so it just kept coming off and I didn't get much of a feel for the power but with the stock air filter and muffler it hauls! I love the low end torque!
I think once I get the chain fixed I will do some metal work on the fenders to put a crown in them. Or do something better and take care of the crappy muffler and the super restrictive intake.

pics!
I had to file some hole out on the frame to fit the motor. I am not sure if it will stay in the holes it is currently bolted in but I think the motor may be mounted too far to the left. making chain alignment tough. I thought I would have to make a trip to hardware store and hope they have the parts needed to mount the throttle cable but a peice of metal and a few parts off the old motor was all I needed and it works great!
The chain was really loose so I had to move the motor forward and the oil drian plug on the bottom of the block hit the frame. It was still too loose so I will have to cut a few links out to get the chain to stay on.

This is the air box. Can you believe how restrictive this thing is! The air enters the slits in the tubes which point up goes into the filter then down into the large hole in the center turns 90 degrees to enter the carb! need to get rid of this thing ASAP.

Last edited:
since last post the chain issue has been fixed. I took it for a long ride today in the hills. I was just wandering around and I wondered why I hadn't been in this particular area before. Then I realized my 2.5 motor couldn't get me there! The 6.5 pulls me right up hills it actually accelerates up hills whereas the 2.5 would just stop moving!:scooter:
I think my next projects will be the muffler and the intake. I am getting sick of the color I think Van Gogh said orange is the color of insanity. I think he is right since the color of my doodlebug is pissing me off.

Well this thing needs a new name now that I got the 6.5hp it is no longer a wuss and now with my custom exhaust it doesn't sound like one either. Once I think up some name I might have to post a new project thread with its new identity.