The Yamaha KT100 "Kwik-Tray"

This was one of my more ambitious projects as I thought it had some potential as a marketable item. Back some years ago (2007) when my son started racing karts in the Yamaha class, we saw the need for some kind of tool caddy/ parts tray that we could use to service the kart in the pits. Time is the enemy in between heats and all too often we found ourselves scrambling for the right tools or crawling on the ground looking for a clip or spring or screw we had misplaced.

Our idea was to design a tool tray that was quick, versatile, and rugged enough to withstand the rigors of everyday use in the pits. We made a few cardboard templates and wooden prototypes before coming up with the design you see here.

It proved itself quite handy while performing all the routine tasks; sprocket schanges, clutch service, carb adjustments, caster/camber/toe setting, wheel spacing, tire changes, etc etc… You can even run the engine with the tray in place. I guess if it had one one drawback it was you had to pull it off to read or change the plug but for that we would just move the tray to the seat .

Heck we even came up with a pretty clever name for it, playing off the KT100 Model name.

Last edited:
We initially fabricated a set of 20 trays and fitted them with the rubber mats and heat resistant aluminum decals. I gave them away to some of the local racers and friends to get an idea of how popular they might be. I also sent 10 of them down to Daytona for the WKA Nationals and handed them out to the top teams that were running at the time. All of the feedback was positive; every one of them thought it was a useful product.

I approached Comet Kart Sales about adding it to their product line. Initially they showed interest... but after mulling it over they declined.

Here's a cut and paste from my "sales pitch" to them...

The tray itself measures 9” x 7” x 3” and features one- piece all aluminum heli-arced construction. It is precisely formed for a slip- fit over the KT100 cylinder head. The open skirt side allows the ignition wire, CHT probe, tach lead to exit, while the remaining vented skirts allow the radiant heat from the cylinder head to escape. A heavy duty rubber mat lines the bottom of the tray which is roomy enough to hold a large clutch spanner wrench and puller, clutch parts, chain, sprocket hardware, wheels spacers, carb parts and other assorted hardware. Flanged edge racks conveniently hold screwdrivers, hex keys, clippers, picks, punches, etc..
Everything remains right at you fingertips. The motor can even be run with the tray in place.
When finished the tray acts as a tote. Simply lift it off with the aluminum handle and carry it back to the toolbox or bring it trackside.

Here are just some of the routine tasks made easier by the Kwik-Tray:
Ø Clutch servicing
Ø Carburetor repairs and adjustments
Ø Ignition repair
Ø Sprocket Changes
Ø Sevicing chains
Ø Tire changes
Ø Wheel spacing
Ø Caster ,camber, and toe adjustments
Ø Exhaust repairs

Our informal polling showed that racers would be willing to pay around $40 for it. I had a local jobber shop quote me a price of around $15 ea. to bend and weld them up. By the time I added the handle, rubber mat and decal there was really not a lot of room left to make money.

So I guess it's just another one of those items that falls into the category of "cool to make for yourself and friends but no real commercial interest"...:shrug:

I wish I had all the money back that I spent on "get rich" ideas over the years...I'd probably be rich :doah:

Anyway, I was cleaning up the shop the other day and found a few of these still on my shelf of broken dreams.

I figured I'd park it here for the sake of posterity...or just in case someday one turns up in the Comet catalog :glare:

This is a product that could be made more cost effective by selecting a different material to make it with. Did you consider higher temperature plastics or maybe even silicone?

Not matter the material used there's always going to be a tooling cost and financial risks.

You should have overcomplicated it or overpriced it then it would have sold like hot cakes Gerry!! :shrug: :laugh:

Very cool useable tool though!! :thumbsup: