Throttle linkage on late model Lil Indian

Does anyone have any close up pics of the throttle linkage on a late model (2000ish) Lil Indian. From the end of the cable to how it attaches to the carb.
I bought the bike/engine in pieces. I have the original engine but I’m not sure if the carb is correct.
Thanks again guys!!
Bob D7C43BB0-81EA-4677-A026-EEA198D92F6C.jpeg

cfh

that picture above has the minibike tecumseh throttle linkage. you just need a cable and a cable stop. looks like the spring to the governor lever is attached too. there should be a stiff solid wire from the governor lever to the carb throttle.

markus

I built this engine to look older, but its from the same era as your engine is from (late 90's) and this is how the whole linkage setup should basically look. The carb you have on the engine currently will not work without modifications though, your throttle arm is setup to pull not push open among other things.

A genuine Tecumseh carb is the best choice to use, but that will most likely pricey if even available, Only thing to do other maybe come across a used one to rebuild is to use a chinese knock off carb. the one that is the best for your application would be this version (dont have to buy from them, you just want it setup like this one-can just use the part numbers to cross reference) https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-New-Car...m=263770421286&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The white engine above actually has one on it, with the choke lever bent to fit the application. I have about a 1 out of every 3 fail rate on those carbs though so I try to avoid them unless there is not another option. You really need to disassemble, clean, inspect, test the float for leaks, before putting fuel in them. would have been nice if they charged 5 more bucks for the carb and put that into quality control and better gaskets!!

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cfh

Correct his throttle carb activator has the hole on the wrong side. But I use carbs like his all the time. You just drill a 1/16" hole in the throttle lever (on the opposite side), and you're good to go. Takes a whole 30 seconds (including trying to find that 1/16" drill bit!)

Last edited:

markus

Falcon, gotta correct a bit of my info from above as I just got a better look at what carb you have while doing some parts serching/ordering tonight on ebay for some new projects. Your throttle arm does push open, that angle of your pic kinda makes the black attachment clip look like its the center....sorry. BUT what I did notice is that its a carb for an 8-10 horsepower engine, so its WAY BIG for that little engine!!!! It probably does not have adjustable needles either. If you do try and use it your best bet is to just make your own governor linkage rod out of some piano wire since on that carb you would want it to be longer than the stock one so it you can bend it up a bit to prevent binding, also they return spring is not hooked up on the throttle shaft so you need to swing that spring around and hook it to that cast in tab on top of the flange (engine side of carb) so it will return when you let off the throttle.

Here is what I think your carb is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Carbu...292016?hash=item25fa5e9330:g:wuYAAOSw3ZxaDQhD

Marcus and cfh, thank you both for this excellent info. This will be a huge help. I will post as I get more into this project.

Marcus, your engine is a work of art! I will use these pics as a good reference on how I want mine to look. If it's not too much trouble can you post a few more pics of your engine. Thanks!

Last edited:

markus

Marcus, your engine is a work of art! I will use these pics as a good reference on how I want mine to look. If it's not too much trouble can you post a few more pics of your engine. Thanks!
Thanks :thumbsup: That engine was a 1994 heres how it looked in the ebay listing I bought it from:

During the rebuild (did some port cleanup with the dremel and installed a Tecumseh Motorsports "hot coil" on it during the build:

Once back together and knew it would run, I redid this older, late 80's shroud for it along with retrofitting older fuel tank and brackets, etc. before the paint went on

used 1970-1977 mini bike/kart flag waterslide decal set to finish off the Older style look along with an NOS white fuel tank from the 70's and I eventually made a header/muffler that kinda of copied the Taylor/tecumseh ones they used in the 70's too (my bending tool wont match the bends in the tec muffs though, but didnt come out too bad).

I did a 2000's lil Indian bike a couple years ago, just a quik-n-easy cleanup with an under $300 budget (purchase price of bike included) it was a 4" wheeled short frame with the 3.5hp. It was fun, I didn't like the special tank mount that Lil Indian made so the large cap centerfill tank would fit. It would quit flowing fuel at about 1/4 tank..... found that out about a mile away from the house :laugh: Had to keep standing the bike up on its rear wheel everytime it sputtered and stalled out to get fuel into the bowl to get home.

heres the link to the thread on it, I tried to photograph a few interesting things about the frame and parts for reference https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/112094-lil-indian.html

Marcus,

Thanks for posting the pics and sharing the link to your Lil Indian build. That is the same bike that I'm doing. 2000, black, short frame Lil Indian. Your build will be a huge help to me.

My plan is to do some of the same mods that you did, 11" tires on the 4" wheels and a clutch brake.

The bike had a brand new 212 Predator on it. It was way to big for that frame. You couldn't get the gas cap off the tank. The owner did have the original 3.5 Tecumseh as stated above.

Question, on the tires that you chose, I'm guessing that they are tube tires?

Thanks,
Bob

markus

you can use a "tubeless" rated tire but because the wheels are 2 piece you have to use a tube as they wont seal. the standard 4.10x3.50-4" tubes work on the 11x4.00 tires as well.