Tote Gote Model B Rebuild

Evening Everyone!

I bought this model B project to work on so that I have a larger minibike to chase my nephews around when I give them their minibikes. When I bought the bike he gave me a briggs 5hp motor with no clutch. My question is two parts, to keep up with my nephews do I need to modify the original jackshaft system or can I bypass it entirely and should I keep the 5hp or upgrade to something a little beefier? The two mini bikes I plan to give to my nephews have 212 predators on them. I had to steal the sellers photo since it's much better then any I've taken so far.

Last edited:

chrisr

If you are not into originality, you can use a tav20 or 30 along with a 212 and have a pretty fast big bike however, you will need to also rig up a brake since the original setup the rear brake I believe was part of the jackshaft setup. The Tote Gote like this model seemed to be made for hill climbing over any terrain like in the woods and not so much for top speed.

That looks like Hammer's Gote, You should keep the 5 horse Briggs, it is the biggest one which will fit in the frame, you should also keep the Jack-shaft(s), as Chrisr suggested, you might be able to increase top speed without them, but That Gote has no suspension so unless you are riding on the road, that much speed is not your friend, A Tote Gote is what it is, if you modify it, it won't be a tote gote and it won't make much of a racer either..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! If I do convert it, it will be mostly streets and the occasional forest service road. Ive got some time before I need it to convert it. (2 yearsish) Until then I want to try to restore it to its former glory.

That's a cool old tote gote. My dad had one very similar to it when he was a kid in the mid 60's. I'd personally stick with the briggs, but I don't know much about the predator motors.