Tough start H35

Dave, KMR, I stand corrected on the no-load high speed adjustment. Steve
Steve, you were not wrong on how the book describes the carburetor adjustment. The book however assumes the engine is sitting on a machine where constant RPM is desired. Here are the book descriptions showing that your comments were spot on for these engines in an industrial setting:

(Idle out 1 turn, Main out 1.5 turns in the book called pre-settings, and governor properly adjusted per chapter four) (Note that the clone carb idle settings will be far leaner, sometimes just a crack off of closed)

Start the engine and allow it to warm up to normal operating temperature (3 - 5 minutes). Set the speed control to the HIGH or FAST position. From the recommended preset position, turn the main mixture adjustment screw in (clockwise) slowly until the engine begins to run erratic (lean). Note the position of the screw. Now, turn the screw out (counterclockwise) until the engine begins to run erratic (rich). Turn the screw in (clockwise) midway between these two positions. This will be the best setting. (diag. 21, 22 & 23).

Set the speed control to the IDLE or SLOW position. Adjust the idle mixture screw following the same procedure used to adjust the main mixture adjustment screw.

KMR

Havasu Dave, I did use this method as described to set the high and low speed idle. The bike ran smooth and idle was smooth. Its the power that seems missing. I can only imagine even an H35 should pull a lil harder. I will try and adjust the governor, just concerned it will bog and I will ruin it by losing the factory setting. The linkage is all original and the spring seems to be in good shape. I just don’t want it to be worse! Lol

What is the proper plug for an H35. It had a CJ6 when I got it. I replaced it with a CJ8.
CJ8 is good, but I use RJ17. Your problem isn't your spark plug. The way you describe it, it sounds like you're not getting full RPM because your governor is preventing full throttle. Or your throttle cable is. Real hard to tell from sitting in front of my keyboard.