Tracked 2x2 mini build

I started this about about a week ago but i didnt have a powertrain at the time but now iv got pretty much everything i need exept some rear shocks.
So i started with a set of junk yard john deere snow blower tracks with no plans whatsoever i just figured id use them someday for somthing. I got boored and decided to build a 2x2. I got a u joint from a steering rack out of a mitsubishi and a bunch of assorted sprockets from snow blowers and stuff and i went to work on the front end. This thursday i was back at teh junk yard and i spotted the tranny from a walk behind brush hog and i had a mower that i got running for the engine its a 6.25hp briggs.

So then i got the chassis made up it still needs the motor mounts.
I originally was going to put the tranny behind the engine and snake over it with the jackshaft but that would put the big sprocket too high so i figured to would work better up front because the chain can easily clear uner the carb to the rear. And since the chain is longer i wont have a problem making the rear end sprung. Im making the rear pivot from a bicycle neck. (If youve seen my other progects you know i have practice at this :) )

Im still going to run a jackshaft to the front to gear it down like the rear but theres plenty of room under the tank. Im going to sink the tank between the frame rails and run the seat on top. Ill make a seat for it. The hoops you see pictured are going to be one big hoop for the top of the frame. Im going to use heim joints for the neck. Its going to have a jockey shift on the side of the tank a twist throttle and hopefully a hand clutch but i may have to make it foot operated i havnt got to that yet.

The clutch will be lawn tractor style with a belt and a tentioner. Im going to have two sets of foot pegs that fold up for trees. Its going to go slow nothin speedy i dont thing the tracks could take too much of that kinda abuse. More of a go anywhere crawler but the tranny has 3 or 4 speeds and reverse so i can go slow and kinda quick. And i can tune it by changing the pully size on the engine and tranny without messing with the chain. Iv got about 50$ in it sofar between the tracks and tranny. Should be more than 80$ or so total.

Ill tell you what iv definatly spent more time thinking stareing at this thing than actually working on it and more thought than anything iv built before.

Yes i know the front end is crooked i kinda had to build it that way. Hopefully when its all together and the chain guard is on it wont look bad. As you can see i put a spring on the front end so it can flex over bumps and stuff and ill do the same on the rear end. Ill use bicycle handlebars. Any ideas for color?

i did a build with a track like that on the rear end and it was a awsome bike! looks great i was thinking of doing what your doing but decided the ski on the front was easier.

Last edited:
The tracks are from a snowblower iv seen a few brands that use them. I got mine from the junk yard.
Sweet bike smallbikes88 ! How deep snow does it go in? Im kind of afraid it wont go so well beacuse once i had a snowblower with the tracks and it kinda sucked. With more weight and the tracks in align and the ability to shift the weight front to back should help though i guess.
Thanks for the link Offroad ill have to read through that. I cant imagine there will be too much stress on the tranny on this bike but i did blow out reverse on the one on my jeep gocart it striped the teeth off the gear. I havnt replaced it yet but i may make it 4 wheel drive someday so ill probrobly go with a dual out tranny at that time anyway.

I might open up the tranny case just to check it and put new lube in but im not going to rebuild the whole thing. I guess it takes regular gear oil? I pulled the little vent/fill gover and it looked like real dirty greese in there. On my other tranny i used gear oil i think but that also had an abundence of greese inside.

The only problem I see with using hydraulic for power transmission is coasting. You have none.

I think the reason it sound like it's having problem climb the bumps/hill is because the driver has to control the gas and engage the hydraulic pump.

Thats wild. Hydro is out of my territory. Kinda like electrical systems. I like to see moving parts so i can see exactly whats happening. It took a hell of alot of work to build that thing.
I got a bit of work done on it today. I went to the junk yard and got shocks and foot pegs and more chain and some gears. I got beefier sprockets for the chain that goes from the jackshaft to the u joint so now ill be using all #41 chain. Also got the heim joints for the neck and got started on getting them on.

Got the frame pretty much together

For color im thinkin yellow / black somthing like these. I dont really like yellow on anything but these look pretty good. I may still go to somthing completely different. Im only thinking yellow because the deere trax stickers are yellow. I may go with a dark green with yellow pinstripes or somthing. Not deere green