Tricart find

Haven't seen any pop up down here in Texas. So when this appeared I had to go for it. A bit rough but has seat pan, jackshaft, original tires and wheels, no motor but he thru in most of a 7hp Briggs gonna start going over it then plan on what to do with it image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

These had an optional 8hp Briggs, so theoretically the 7hp (if flathead) should be able to fit w/o the nice cutout in the rear body. By far, most came with the JLO L230. I've never seen an original 4-stroke version in person, but I do have a few photos from original brochure for the 4-stroke. Not sure what all is different on 4-stroke except engine frame and clutch. You have your work cut out for you so good luck.

There were at least a couple of good dealers for these in TX, so there should be a few still scattered around. My buddy got a beauty out of Waco 3-4 years ago. Original survivor... 30+ years in indoor storage.

Guess my first dumb question will have to be "do you cut the fiberglass around the front axle or should it slide out? ". Always up for a challenge even though I most likely can't repair things like new

wildman thanks a bunch for posting the diagram and part breakdown definitely came in handy on front axle as it gave me confidence to start beating on that axle as it had enough rust built up it looked liked the bolt was glassed on directly. kinda strange that this has the 4 9/16" hole in the body and the steering cup of the fork is nearly same size so it doesnt seem to need that shim just too bad someone isnt re-popping some parts as i will have to make some bar clamps also my bars are connected with no gap between for the grips as pictured again thanks and i am sure i will have more question coming as i dig into this thing

The closed loop handlebars were early and with w/gap type came later. Yours must be a pretty early unit. The handlebar clamps need to provide just enough tension because the handlebar is also the brake actuator.

Last edited:
Making progress front end is apart and finally got rear wheels to come off. Now the adventure of removing stop collars on outside or rear axle

I never really looked at one of these close before....

Do those two scoops in the front bring air under the seat and back to the motor? If so, that's pretty neat.

I picked up another tri cart last year. It's later model with fuel tank under seat and newer bars and foot pegs. Would love to find a JLO 230 motor for one of them. Have thought about trying to put a 252 on one as we have a few of them. I'll have to contact Wildman when we tear into one of them.

Stop collars are off now for axle bearings, sprocket and brake rotor. I guess rotor will be heat and hope as there is no set screws let me know if there is a secret to this????? Thanks