Trying to figure out what my latest acquisition is and how old

I've been scratching my head since I got it, and the gentleman I bought it from had no more information. The closest thing I've found is a Doodlebug scooter.

I can't find any ID on the frame, forks, or other parts. The engine does have an ID plate but it's polished almost smooth. There is a logo on one end, that's a circle with interlocking "P"s in it: (PP). I didn't get an engine plate photo unfortunately.

Here's a couple pics, hope the links work. (This is my first time on this site's forums.)

View attachment 86487

View attachment 86488

Other info about it. The tires are 2.8X4 tube-type. There's a spring at the bottom of the front fork, the only suspension the bike has. The drive uses a centrifugal clutch to a belt, small jackshaft in a pillow block to a little chain drive down to the wheel. There's a band brake on the right side of the rear wheel. The throttle is not connected, but is supposed to be controlled by the left handgrip. The entire left arm of the handlebars pivots for the throttle- about 10 inches of bar turns with the grip. I believe the seat is homemade. It hinges up to the rear. There are footpegs on the frame, but I'm not sure they're original. One's definitely been re-welded.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

--Rob

capguncowboy

Oh, I'm not sure what that is. Definitely earlier than any Cat bikes. I'd say it's late 50s or maybe early 60s. It's cool, whatever it is

Could it possibly be a 'doodle-bug' without it's sheet metal or original fenders ?

I don't know enough about them to determine for certain, but it has that shape, and size, and that is what I am leaning towards.

Perhaps one of the folks whose worked with one, will recognize it ?

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Could it possibly be a 'doodle-bug' without it's sheet metal or original fenders ?

I don't know enough about them to determine for certain, but it has that shape, and size, and that is what I am leaning towards.

Perhaps one of the folks whose worked with one, will recognize it ?
I looked those up first and it's not a Haiwatha. The handlebars and frame shape are wrong. It's definitely from the same era though. Maybe it's homemade?