UK Ebay purchase, any ideas?

Hello everyone,

I purchased this little mini bike to do up and use as a pit bike when I go watch drag racing, want to keep it authentic. Been told its either -

Italjet Bambino or Indian mm5a/mini mini

It has a franco morini motor, I'm not sure if this helps?!

Thanks

Chris
:scooter:

MikeBear

Hello everyone,

I purchased this little mini bike to do up and use as a pit bike when I go watch drag racing, want to keep it authentic. Been told its either -

Italjet Bambino or Indian mm5a/mini mini

It has a franco morini motor, I'm not sure if this helps?!

Thanks

Chris
:scooter:
It looks like it has a China clone Yamaha Pw80 front forks to me... http://tinyurl.com/2a539tr

Last edited:
Examining the photo, there are features on the forks that are not the same so I don't think it could be those China clone forks.

Comparing the forks to the other MM5a's and italjet's they do look the same, i think they may be original. Please bear in mind also that the bike has all been sprayed silver to prevent it from rusting.

I hope this helps!

markus

while I am not sure the maker, I can tell you it is NOT an indian or italjet mini mini. There have been a couple very simalar bikes show up here and on sheldons emu site but never with a positive id unfortunatly. There seems to have been alot of Universal parts offered up in italy, it was the same here in the US, in fact a few of the US manufacturers used alot of italian parts on their bikes as well.

The chainguard on that bike is very simalar if not the same one used on a bike made by moto beta that I have in my collection, but the bike is nothing like yours. The tabs are for an air pump for the tires, something which I have been on the hunt for since I aquired the bike!!!

Good luck, I'm curious to know what it is, hopefully you can ID it!!!!!!!!!!!

while I am not sure the maker, I can tell you it is NOT an indian or italjet mini mini. There have been a couple very simalar bikes show up here and on sheldons emu site but never with a positive id unfortunatly. There seems to have been alot of Universal parts offered up in italy, it was the same here in the US, in fact a few of the US manufacturers used alot of italian parts on their bikes as well.

The chainguard on that bike is very simalar if not the same one used on a bike made by moto beta that I have in my collection, but the bike is nothing like yours. The tabs are for an air pump for the tires, something which I have been on the hunt for since I aquired the bike!!!

Good luck, I'm curious to know what it is, hopefully you can ID it!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you think I could get a positive ID of the bike via engine code or chassis number and write to the manufacturer?
When I do it up I will create a build thread for you all to view, maybe shed a little more light on its origin?!
Would you guys be tempted to go down the route of a customizing or get it looking like an original? Not sure personally whats best :shrug:

Last edited:

markus

Do you think I could get a positive ID of the bike via engine code or chassis number and write to the manufacturer?
When I do it up I will create a build thread for you all to view, maybe shed a little more light on its origin?!
Would you guys be tempted to go down the route of a customizing or get it looking like an original? Not sure personally whats best :shrug:
you could try that, I would try contacting franco morini and seeing if anyone there is still old school and would be willing to look over your photos. I dunno If they actually made some small bikes like this or just produced the motors for other companies. I will go out on a limb and say that whoever built this bike also built yours:

Before you go crazy on it, have your ridden it around? thats a pretty small bike, they are pretty tricky and uncomfortable to ride for your average grown up.

Sadly your image didn't come through is there a link where I can view?
When I bought the bike I had a ride up and down the road seemed ok to sit on and manouver, pretty happy with it all round. Going to start a full strip down and cleaning of all the parts today.:grind:

I noticed some numbers on the frame and on the engine so I guess this is the best place to start, I will send Franco Morini an email today and hopefully I will hear something back!

Thanks for the help Markus will let you know how it goes

Chris

markus

Sadly your image didn't come through is there a link where I can view?
When I bought the bike I had a ride up and down the road seemed ok to sit on and manouver, pretty happy with it all round. Going to start a full strip down and cleaning of all the parts today.:grind:

I noticed some numbers on the frame and on the engine so I guess this is the best place to start, I will send Franco Morini an email today and hopefully I will hear something back!

Thanks for the help Markus will let you know how it goes

Chris

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/morini/images/Morini_Franco_MX_70s_Scotland_41.jpg try that for a link to that pic, if it does not show, its cybermotorcyle.com which is Sheldons emu site which has alot of good photo galleries an some decent info on European bikes. that particular bike pic that I linked was found in the franco morini gallery.