Using 2 stroke Lawn Boy engine?

I have a 2 stroke 5 hp Lawn Boy lawn mower engine I was thinking of using on a mini bike - Anyone ever mount one horizontal? I know there will be carb mods or a new carb all together but my main question concerns what clutch I can use? This will be the first 2 stroke I have messed with.

den35

Depends.What size and type of shaft does it have?If it has a tapered shaft,forget it.I don't think anyone makes a small clutch or TAV that fits a tapered shaft.

Oh ya.And Welcome to the group.:thumbsup:

shaft type

It has a straight shaft 1" dia for 2 1/2" then tapers down to threads. It ran really good on the mower - mower was given to me along with three others (mowers). Thanks for the welcome - kinda stumbled on to the forum looking for Honda clone mods on the web.

Last edited:

jeep4me

You'd be better off not messing with a vertical shaft engine, turning it sideways and all. There are plenty of good used horizontal shaft engines out there. Try you local craigslist.com and get one off from a snowblower or rototiller. The 1" clutch is 2-3 times as expensive as a 3/4" or 5/8" .

Leave the vertical motor on the Lawnboy (my favorite kind of mowers by the way), sell the other 3 mowers and use that money to by a good running Tecumseh or Briggs 4-5hp.

Those engines are the same as the ones used on current Toro snowblowers. They're now made by Briggs. I think they're 141cc and make up to 9hp on the blowers.
Anyhow, a 2 stroke will run in any position. If it as a diaphram carb you won't have to change a thing. If it's a float carb, you'll have to level the float, or swap it out for a diaphram type.

Good Luck,

LB 2 stroke

I was thinking a Mikuni carb - Any suggestions on size for either a diaphram/Mikuni. Like the MIkuni because of the throttle cable setup. My son was trying to talk me into modifing a pocket bike frame. I have rode his pocket bike and theirs not much margin for error when things get sideways. The engine currently has a float type carb - could just make a manifold to adapt it.

Clutch question - can you use a 4 stoke clutch on a 2 stroke?

Last edited:
Look what I found

I just remembered that I had bought a clutch for another project that never got started - 1" dia shaft centrifugal clutch. Clutch was made by North American Clutch.

KB2ROCKET

the whole challenge here is to figure out how to use a engine that couldnt be any more wrong for minibike use
you will need to fab a bracket to mount theengine
turn that carb 90 degs to level the float
find out if the shaft really is 1 inch then if so yu may need to machine a key slot in it and have a positive way of retaining the clutch on the shaft
that clutch you have is for a 4 stroke and may need stronger springs so the clutch can enguage at a higher rpm 2 stroke need to rev more to be in their powerband
throttle hookup
I hate to be a kill joy but you will be spending some serious money to adapt everything. I for one would enjoy seeing how you overcame these obstructions
GOOD LUCK

I'm with K2B on that for sure, keep us posted on your progress, hope you don't loose interest when you go to buy/make your parts!!!! I think you'd be on a cheaper route if you went with a clone and a new clutch, time and money wise, but you're the engineer,lol, good luck and take a lot of pics!!!
dave

Half the fun is making something work that's not supposed to.Think it through and try it.And then tell everyone it worked out just the way I planned it.Good luck .

My first L-B conversion was a 1980 model 8601 which is a "D" engine.
Your '60's model is likely a "C" engine which is very similar to the "D".
Problem with these particular models is mufflers are not simply a "bolt on" arrangement.
Mufflers are bolted to underside of mower deck. The engine is then bolted to top of deck at which point exhaust port lines up with muffler. It's all sandwiched together.
I gave up on the "D" when I received a trashed model "F". Major difference in the ease of ability to mount to frame. I could use the original muffler as well.
The newer models (F, V, E) have bolt holes for muffler and are much easier to work with as well as having more power.
Engine in vid is a model "E" or DuraForce.
Original advertised hp is 6.5.
With my mods, output is now somewhat higher.
Good luck with yours and please let me know how it goes.

PS: I work mostly with karts but bumped into this thread during a search. My current project is a twin DuraForce L-B kart.

Yup..,that would be me (russ2251) for the most part. The guy with "Worlds Second Fastest Lawn-Boy Powered Go-kart" has not completed his.
I'm the only one that has succeeded in completing running models. Eight of them at last count.
I would really like to see more, but no one is up to it apparently.
A serious lack of available/usable 2 cycles out there (to begin with) prompted me to make the jump to Lawn-Boy.

Last edited:

delray

looks like a old fox frame:thumbsup:
can you post more pictures here. diy you have to sign up:doah: to look at anything:doah: