Vintage Miss Budweiser electric R/C Hydroplane.

I74

Cool !
Those triple 7 engines are frigg'n huge,, & the flight deck is ''state of the art'' incredible !!

My Dad was an engineer too.

Added,,
Here's a couple of pics you might like.
2018-SH_World-Of-Speed-Motorsports-Museum-Portland_Trevor-Ryan-014_0191-1200x800.jpg

2014fall-boatguy1.jpg

Last edited:
Neat stuff. Thanks for sharing. I somewhat recall seeing Miss Bardahl on display at the Portland, Ore., auto show in the mid-1960s. The boat was cool, of course, and at ten years old or so I was also quite impressed by the trailer. I've always had a thing for trailers. :D

WOW I know it's off topic but WOW Thank you guys for sharing. Didn't grow up around the water. But way cool guys thank you !!!

I did the NHRA scene, still do when I get a chance we go to Bandimere... Funnycars and Top Fuel... M'mmm the smell of Nitro in the mornin... lol :eek:

I74

Very cool !
I see they did the one test with a 707, probably because needing out board engines on that test bed also,, ''just in case''...
My Pop's worked on the 707 project a bit @ Boeing, in the late 50's.
One test Pilot actually did an ''effortless'' barrel roll with one of the prototype's in front of Boeing during a press ect. demo.
Bet your Dad knew about that one ''desert rat''.;)
Didn't even stress the Airframe at all.
Think it freaked out some of the ''VIP'' passengers for a few secs. though … LOL !!
Added,,
Also remember hearing that Test Pilot got in ''temporary'' ''big'' trouble after that stunt, but went away,, after the CEO's of Boeing realized that publicity stunt, would be a ''great'' selling point for the 707,, as a ''large'' 4 - turbine engine passenger ect. plane, that could do aerobatics & not break a sweat. :cool:

Watched a documentary around 10 years ago,, on the ''static mount'' testing of the ''Triple 7'' - ''large'' engines.
They were throwing chickens & all kinds of crap into the inlets,, to see what would happen.. :eek: LOL
Those engine's are frigg'n tough !!

Last edited:

I74

WOW I know it's off topic but WOW Thank you guys for sharing. Didn't grow up around the water. But way cool guys thank you !!!

I did the NHRA scene, still do when I get a chance we go to Bandimere... Funnycars and Top Fuel... M'mmm the smell of Nitro in the mornin... lol :eek:
Bandimere is hands down my fav. dragstrip, & like no other. ;)
Spent a lot of quality time there when I lived in Co.

desert rat

Very cool !
I see they did the one test with a 707, probably because needing out board engines on that test bed also,, ''just in case''...
My Pop's worked on the 707 project a bit @ Boeing, in the late 50's.
One test Pilot actually did an ''effortless'' barrel roll with one of the prototype's in front of Boeing during a press ect. demo.
Bet your Dad knew about that one ''desert rat''.;)
Didn't even stress the Airframe at all. :cool:
Think it freaked out some of the ''VIP'' passengers for a few secs. though … LOL !!

Watched a documentary around 10 years ago,, on the ''static mount'' testing of the ''Triple 7'' - ''large'' engines.
They were throwing chickens & all kinds of crap into the inlets,, to see what would happen.. :eek: LOL
Those engine are frigg'n tough !!
I spent a week welding ALL nut/washers/bolts to the test stand for that test. The test was to confirm that if there was a catastrophic failure in the main fan or motor that the cowling(skins) would contain the damaged motor and not have wing or cabin damage. I will have to look for the "golf ball" we built for that same motor/test stand, it was so cool.

Last edited:

I74

I spent a week welding ALL nut/washers/bolts to the test stand for that test. The test was to confirm that if there was a catastrophic failure in the main fan or motor that the cowling(skins) would contain the damaged motor and not have wing or cabin damage. I will have to look for the "golf ball" we built for that same motor/test stand, it was so cool.
Hey,, it looks like your welds held up anyways. :cool:

Don't think ''a lot'' of people realize on how ''big'' that engine really is....

Impressive to say the least. :D Looks like she held up well Desert Rat! Ya done good Sir!

Unless you get up close and personal one can't tell. Way cool Shtuff y'all be sharing!
Yrs ago was around a Pratt Whitney FT4 (i think) in a small Power House in Pryor Oklahoma. Very impressive engine. Can only imagine how big the ones are y'all got to be around and play with! :cool:

I74

A full weekend of 'Pride' last month, but no hydros or Blue Angels again at Seafair this year. I can't wait to get out of this city permanently.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nu...r-is-again-mostly-virtual-in-2021/ar-BB1fWq29

No NW Nationals at Pacific Raceways either.
That sucks. :confused:

Here is an inspirational edited quote from Bernie Little after 911.

[ My reaction to the terrorist attacks, was that we had to go on,, to prove that no one can stop what's going on in the USA,,, &
there are to many of us to let tragedies bring us to a standstill.
It was the right decision to keep moving forward. ]

panchothedog

Bernie Little was the real deal. I am a long time San Diego area resident where the unlimiteds race every year. From 1972 until 1999 I never missed a race, and most of the 70's went to Friday and Saturday qualifying. In 1976
( I remember because it was the year my youngest son was born ) my brother and I were watching qualifying on Saturday afternoon, Miss BUD had just run a lap at 134 mph, fast of not record setting for that time. Then they announced Bernie was going to jump into the boat just to see what he could do. Kinda half stunt and half to whoop up the crowd, which it sure as hell did. He took a warm up lap or two to get the feel of the boat and then
ran a lap of 131 mph. Needless to say it was a pretty big hit with the fans.
Something I'll never forget.

I74

Bernie Little was the real deal. I am a long time San Diego area resident where the unlimiteds race every year. From 1972 until 1999 I never missed a race, and most of the 70's went to Friday and Saturday qualifying. In 1976
( I remember because it was the year my youngest son was born ) my brother and I were watching qualifying on Saturday afternoon, Miss BUD had just run a lap at 134 mph, fast of not record setting for that time. Then they announced Bernie was going to jump into the boat just to see what he could do. Kinda half stunt and half to whoop up the crowd, which it sure as hell did. He took a warm up lap or two to get the feel of the boat and then
ran a lap of 131 mph. Needless to say it was a pretty big hit with the fans.
Something I'll never forget.
Super cool !
I read that he was also an Aerobatic Pilot, so driving one of those for him,, was probably like cake. :cool:

I74

Here is a pic of a .21 outrigger hydro that I built & highly modified back in 08'.
I reconfigured it with a ''one of a kind'' .32 Nitro/ ''tuned pipe'' pull start.
I designed & made the cockpit cowl, mounts,, & ''a lot'' of other stuff.
It did 72mph, with a 15+ft. rooster tail,, on ''only'' 20% Nitro. :cool:

These are the fastest R/C designs on water,, Nitro or electric.

Added,,
There is barely any of it in the water when up to speed.
About 1/2 of the prop, less than - 1/3 of the turn fin & rudder,, & pretty much ''nothing'' touching at all,, on the forward or aft. sponson's.
You are basically ''flying'' them.

rigger 2 005.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Thanks for sharing this stuff, heffenreffer . :)
The Miss Seattle definitely looks like she was a mov'in. :cool:
Think my Dad mentioned seeing version's of that Hydro run,, around or just a ''wee bit'' before that time.
Added,,
My first R/C ''Nitro'' Hydro, 30+ years ago,, was that boat.

Last edited:

I74

Am resurecting this thread again, cause I just stumbled across it,, & finally got ''all'' the parts & stuff to finish my 12th scale vintage 1992 ''rare'' MRP Miss Budweiser.
Is going to be a bad @$$ - present day / ''state of the art parts''- ''brushless conversion'',, & will be this winters project getting it modded more & buttoned up.

Will start posting my progress probably around Nov. ;)

I

novadose74

Am resurecting this thread again, cause I just stumbled across it,, & finally got ''all'' the parts & stuff to finish my 12th scale vintage 1992 ''rare'' MRP Miss Budweiser.
Is going to be a bad @$$ - present day / ''state of the art parts''- ''brushless conversion'',, & will be this winters project getting it modded more & buttoned up.

Will start posting my progress probably around Nov. ;)

I
I remember my friend running his in the town park lake In the early 90’s. I could not believe how fast it was. Now with the better motors and batteries I can’t imagine them running faster. He was running it one day and lost signal while full throttle, we tried running after it to catch the signal back, but it smashed into a mini island surrounded by rocks. This thing exploded into pieces! LOL. It was a devastating loss being so young, but now it makes me laugh. Man , at full speed that thing was barely in the water! Thanks for helping me remember that.