Wanted: Cast Iron Tecumseh Lighted Flywheel for HS50

Hi there! I’m looking for a lighted flywheel for my 1978 Tecumseh HS-50. I have an aluminum lighted flywheel, but unfortunately the crank taper is different, the original flywheel is cast iron so that’s what I’m thinking I need. No luck on eBay.

What size is the flywheel nut?

The first link I posted I agree it looks like it might be wrong, sorry about that
But the second one looks legit from the pics

cfh

a 1978 Tecumseh should have the same crank taper as a pre-1975 alloy flywheel crank. I have swapped a steel lighted flywheel with an alloy lighted flywheel, without issue. The crank taper change happened around 1982 i believe.

I don't how I just ran across this.... But anyway there is a guy on you tube who made his own HS50 lighting set up using the original cast iron flywheel by adding more magnets. The video is titled "lighting coil hs50". Several questions come to mind but judge it for yourselves

Now that you mention it, i have used steel and aluminum flywheels on the same crank as well.
Actually I stand corrected. The flywheel I swapped was a thick aluminum flywheel, not a thick steel flywheel.
I got confused but I went and checked and it’s the same size as a steel flywheel but it is aluminum.
1973 Hs50

markus

I don't how I just ran across this.... But anyway there is a guy on you tube who made his own HS50 lighting set up using the original cast iron flywheel by adding more magnets. The video is titled "lighting coil hs50". Several questions come to mind but judge it for yourselves
I made a couple of them a few months ago....that's was what I was using that new HS50 I have for sale currently to test them with ;) I think the youtuber actually bought one of my spare NOS alternators to build it with off ebay or facebook or somewhere. I got that idea from a kit that Ruppparts used to sell (but someone that used to be on here actually made them and where I got it since Brandt went kaput) He has his own style magnets that are different than the factory Tecumseh ones and I don't know if his alternator is custom wound or just a factory unit that is refreshed.

This stuff only works with solid state/electronic ignition engine where the coil is outside of the flywheel. The points style setup has some pretty critical setup so I dunno how you could pull that off unless you you got the magnets from a donor wheel. I made a template off an original lighted flywheel I had in stock for the ones made so I had spacing correct and used the OG wheel to verify orientation of the magnets etc..

Heres the kit they used to sell (mines wired for pre 1970 so its got the 2 wires that come out the rear of the engine)

Sorry to OP, as none of this stuff will apply to your situation.

So does the OP need an early taper crank with an 11/16” nut and 7/16-20 threads?
Or a late taper with 1/2” threaded end?
Please forgive my ignorance on this but not sure if this has been established

So does the OP need an early taper crank with an 11/16” nut and 7/16-20 threads?
Or a late taper with 1/2” threaded end?
Please forgive my ignorance on this but not sure if this has been established
I will check the taper of the crank I have now, and the aluminum lighted flywheel, tomorrow. I haven’t disassembled the engine yet. I remember trying to fit the aluminum flywheel on and it not seating even close. The aluminum flywheel is from an HS-40, for reference.

I’m a big dummy. Don’t know why I couldn’t get the aluminum flywheel to fit before, the taper is the same, but it does now! Thanks for all the help guys! Y’all saved me a ton of money, and now my Black Widow project will have lights! Yay!!!!

Attachments