Washers inside

I noticed that some of my engines have thin shim washers on the drive shaft inside. Way don't they all have them and are they shims to tighten the slop or just better on the aluminum cover? Where do you get them? Thanks GTO

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You never said for what engine?

They are needed for crank slop end play. Some like a lot, and some don't. If there are shims in there, that means there was a lot of crank end play. If the crank end play is to tight, you would normally see extra side cover gaskets on the block. (more then one, or a extra thick one)

Tecumseh uses the shims for end play as MDB said, some engines have them, some don't. Tecumseh didn't stack side cover gaskets like Briggs for too tight of end play. They never seemed to be too tight.

I need to clarify....Tecumseh used shims on some engines that had bushing side covers. They didnt use shims on ball brg side covers

Last edited:
Are you talking about the washers someone put between the side cover and block?
No not that engine. :doah: I still can't get the flywheel off that one.

I can't remember which ones had the shims Been into 6 of them. My old tecumseh could use a shim because it had play and I put a new gasket in it and it leaked on me. :doah: And yes I cleaned. :eek:ut: That little bugger has to be built up because its fast as hell and I want to keep it going nice.