welding

hey im 14 i wanna start to weld i dont know how, wats a good begginers welding machine that is not to complicated or expensive needs to be able to weld metal as thick as mini bike frames.Thanks

Ped, Wow, tough question! Easiest type to learn would be either stick or mig
welding. Mig can be used for welding minibike tubing (typically .083" thick) and
it does a pretty fair job. Stick doesn't work so well because the heat is harder
to control and it is easier to burn through your tubing. Harbor freight sells small
shop migs for a couple hundred bucks or less on sale. By far the best type of
welding for minibikes is TIG. It stands for tungsten inert gas. It produces
beautiful welds and you can damn near weld tin foil with it. The drawbacks
are the cost of the equipment and it takes a long time and lots of practice
to learn. My advice to you would be to see if you can sign up for a welding
class at your vo-tech or highschool shop and take a welding course. That
way you can try Stick, Mig, Tig, and Oxy-acetylene and draw your own
conclusions. Good luck..............Ogygopsis

If it was me, I would start out with a Cheap Flux core wire feed welder.
They are Cheap enough you could probably ask you Parents for one for Christmas or do some odd jobs around your neighborhood to get enough money for one.

If your just going to be Welding Minibike frames they are going to be perfect and be feasible for a Younger guy to maintain and afford to use. A little 110volt welder will be fine for mini frames. You wont get hit with the high price of a gas MiG welder and the cost of the Gas and Bottle........ Unless you have $500-$600 laying around :)

I Use a 110 Lincoln MiG that I only use with Flux core. I use it on Sheet metal and Mini frames. I works well Up to about 3/16" plate.

After that I Use a 220 stick welder.

Here is a Decent Little flux core welder that you wont have to have gas for. Just Wire and Electricity! :) It'd be perfect to start out on and great for any mini frame. Remember to Practice, Practice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-125-AMP-FLU...yZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem