What A Nightmare

jrzmac

Man what a friggin' day I'm having. I've been waiting for a new carb kit for the last week. Finally gets here today. First thing that happens is I tighten the main Jet too tight and the thing snaps off inside the carburetor. Luckily I backed it out with a flat head screwdriver and put the old one back in. Then I go to take the carb off the engine for like the fifth time today, and one of the nuts gets lost. I look all over the damn place for like an hour. I said there's NO WAY that thing could've fell down behind the flywhell. GUESS WHAT!!!! IT DID..... Then when I finally get everything put back together(because I also took the torque converter cover off also because I thought it might have fell in there somewhere).. I put a little gas in the tank, and the thing is leaking all over the place. I'm at a loss. The lawn mower repair guy said there's no way he can touch the engine if it's on the bike. LIABILITY ISSUES he say's. so I guess I have to take the whole engine off and have the guy fix it????

I feel your pain. I had a terrible time working on the motor for my Cat. It has been a while since I have touched a small engine, so I would work on it, put it back on the bike and would have to take it right off again, all while trying to hunt down little pieces that I was sure I set right in front of me. Ha Ha Good times.

jrzmac

I just don't get it? I get a repair kit because the old float needle was basically glued in the hole, so I yanked it out and cleaned everything real good. I put the new seat in with the grooves pointing towards the engine. I put a new float on and the thing is leaking now when it wasn't even leaking before?

:confused: Is it in there nice and flat and flush? If you look in there it looks like a perfect little round rubber doughnut? You can use like a 3/16 or 1/8 inch bolt to press it in there nice and flat with your fingers.. If it's not out of shaped and that entire hole is clean.. It should seal if the float level is set right.. That might be an issue to with the way the carb is tilted.. I just put a Briggs with the same intake and carb setup on a Rupp and got lucky and mine works and doesn't leak.. But that was a rebuilt carb and always ran fine BEFORE I ever put the motor on that bike....

Sounds like the seat isn't in just right or the float levele needs to be adjusted lower.. You can try setting the engine plate area on a milk crate or something to even out the engine while ya mess with it.. That helps too some times..

Where abouts in the world are you.. Maybe someone here more experienced with them can help ya with it..

jrzmac

when I put the seat in, it went in sideways. I tried as hard as I can to not mess the thing up taking it out and re seating it. could it be I might have messed it up by trying to get it out and then putting it back in? maybe i scratched it? also, do the lines go up into the carb????

jrzmac

can I take it off the engine and test this with water so I dont waste anymore gas all over the backyard??? then maybe spray it with carb cleaner?

Yeah the lines should go up, or burried into the carb.. Yeah they can get scraped up or a chunk torn out... Uhhh water MIGHT work I guess but it has a different density than gas so the float may not float the same in it.. I'd just use a little bit of gas and catch it in a bowl or something under the motor.. Yeah, taking the motor off might be the way to go.. :thumbsup:

There are people in Jersey... I'm not real familiar with every town on the east coastal area... But how far are your from Mechanicsburg PA? :shrug:

Nothing else mail me the carb and 5 bucks to mail it back.. I'll make the bitch work or trade it out for one that will.. :lol: We'll kick it's ass one way or another.. :lol:

jrzmac

I cant believe this crap! I put that new carb on the thing and it still leaking ....
wtf i'm I gonna do??? Maybe it's the pitch of the engine?? It is at a severe angle!!

I was afraid of this... :doah: Mine works fine at that angle... Try pulling the float out of the carb, or not even, just the bowl off.. then get in there with a flat screw driver... Then tweak that little tab upwards some that the needle rides on.. if you look at the float you'll see what I mean.. theres a recurved little brass tab, just bend him up a little bit so the needle seats at a lower setting..

Just make sure not to poke a hole in the float..

Gas will evaporate pretty quickly.. It's not likely a problem...

Yes you want the tab bent UPWARDS more, so that the float cannot travel upwards so far.. You want the fuel flow pinched off when the float is at a lower level, so the fuel is not so deep in the bowl.. :thumbsup: If ya get it too low the bowl will just push the needle shut though if ya REALLY get extreme with it.. :doah:

jrzmac

I think I got it, if the bowl is hanging down lower, there's gonna be less gas in the bowl. If it's up higher towards the carb, it puts more gas in there??? therefore making it leak??? I'll give it a shot!

I just fought with a float level setting on an old gas powered cement mixer. One suggestion for you is that you don't need to have the carb attached to the engine to see if the needle valve is sealing. Just put the carb back together and hook it up to your fuel line and hold it at the same angle it is when mounted to the engine and below the height of the gas tank. Wait about 15 seconds, disconnect it, and take the bowl back off to see your results. If it continues to overflow, bend the float tab some more. If there's no gas in the bowl, you adjusted too far and the needle isn't opening at all. If the bowl is partially full, you should be close to success.

jrzmac

I think I got it. I just swithed the float. the one that was on there was plastic. I put a brass one on instead. screwed with the tab a little bit. and guess what, NO LEAK!! I'll keep my fingers crossed because I know my luck.....I actually got to ride down the street. I'll tell you what, THIS THING COOKS!!!!! 3.5 or not.....friggin thing was booking. only problem was whenever I let off the throttle and don't give it any gas, it dies out???? isn't it supposed to just sit and idle without flooring the throttle????