What did I get myself into....

I just picked this mini bike up. The coolest thing to me is that my Dad bought an identical one new back in 1970! He can't remember where he bought it, but there are still some slides around with me sitting on it in front of the christmas tree in 1970! My Mom imediately showed me the scar on her leg from the clutch "biting" her. My Dad told me the story of the time his cousin took it out and proceeded to crash it on the road, and end up unconcious in the ditch! LOTS of family history on a Mini like this, so I'd love to know what it is, so I can get it restored properly!
Thanks!!!

mybiz

I found some similar ones with ape hangers. When and if I stumble back on them I'll let you know. I saved a pic of your bike for a reminder. Does the bars and forks look original And the sissy bar also.:confused:

I found some similar ones with ape hangers. When and if I stumble back on them I'll let you know. I saved a pic of your bike for a reminder. Does the bars and forks look original And the sissy bar also.:confused:
I'm still waiting for my Dad to find some pics of the one he had, but he swears this is the same as what he had. His came with the Apehangers and the sissy bar. He said he moved the seat and sissy bar back on his to get a little more knee room. From what I can tell, everything other than the engine is original. It has been repainted, but I can see traces of the original yellow on all the main parts. I'm just curious who originally made it, as my dad can't remember what brand it was. I'm not necessarily going to do a full restoration, but I'd love to see if it originally had fenders, and what the original colors of the different parts were.
Thanks for keeping a lookout!

I also have one of these and still do not know what it is. I have seen A LOT for sale here Minnesota,and several in surrounding states like Iowa, South Dakota and Wisconson. BUT MOSTLY MN. They surely had to me manufactured in this area. Would love to figure this out also.
Mine was a light yellow originally as well. :shrug:

Edit ::: Yes the ape hangers and sissy bars are original. Your handlebars look to be spread apart more then mine though. I also have a spare set of forks and the are the same as the ones on the bike. (also bought the forks here in Mn)
Perhaps they were made right here in Minnesota .....???

Last edited:
I also have one of these and still do not know what it is. I have seen A LOT for sale here Minnesota,and several in surrounding states like Iowa, South Dakota and Wisconson. BUT MOSTLY MN. They surely had to me manufactured in this area. Would love to figure this out also.
Mine was a light yellow originally as well. :shrug:

Edit ::: Yes the ape hangers and sissy bars are original. Your handlebars look to be spread apart more then mine though. I also have a spare set of forks and the are the same as the ones on the bike. (also bought the forks here in Mn)
Perhaps they were made right here in Minnesota .....???
My Dad thought it may have come from Northern Tool & Equip (or whatever they were called in 1970!)but he's not sure.
As far as the forks...are they supposed to be at that angle, or did it stop too quickly at some point in its life? :)

My Dad thought it may have come from Northern Tool & Equip (or whatever they were called in 1970!)but he's not sure.
As far as the forks...are they supposed to be at that angle, or did it stop too quickly at some point in its life? :)
Yeah your forks are bent back some.(pretty common) Would really love to find out who made them !

Any updates.??? Since the original post, I have run across two more of these on CL....both within the last week. Both around the Minneapolis area. :eek:ut:

Here is mine-

Looks like that is probably who made them...but I gotta wonder why so many in Mn. Perhaps a distributer in Minneapolis or ?? :eek:ut:
Nice Work mybiz !!!

Look at the scrub brake mounts on the black one in the original post. They're normal tabs and not a triangle plate like Cal Karts. Footpegs are wrong for Cal Kart. The trees are strange too. The bends are a little tighter too, mainly the lower rear. The rear axle mounts are angled back, and are straight down on Cal Karts.

Last edited:

mybiz

I guess more than 1 distributer. Like your Cat's/Bonanza's/Rupps and may more brands are all over the USA. Like Sears sold rupp's and other well know makes&models that's just my thought of how they got far away from where they was built. Around here in Kansas 1 bike I've been wanting to buy is a Powell but they didn't seem to get very far from CA. From Colorado on east seems to be fewer Powell's out there..:doah:

mybiz

Differet jig for diferent models.:shrug: The Cal is the closet to a match i've seen. :rolleyes:
Id this 1.:laugh: Been waiting ?? over 2 years to put a name on it.:detective: Hope yours don't take that long it will dive you crazy!