What Engine?

I bought a used Red Baja mini bike and it has the 2.8HP motor. Not that fast and the pull start cord broke. So instead of buying a new pull cord I am going to get a new motor. Was going to do that anyways.

What motor can I get for $130.00 or Under.
Please give me a link to the product.

Thanks very much.

these engines won't bolt onto a DB because the stock 2.8 has a smaller bolt pattern. you can either drill/slot new holes or buy an engine mount plate from cjtmini (member here). he also sells complete kits with everything you need to get going with a 6.5 (engine and clutch included). i'm running his plate on my DB and it is worth the money IMO.

if you choose to drill new holes, be sure that the clutch sprocket and rear sprocket are lined up. if they're off, you'll end up throwing the chain which is a pain in the ass to deal with.

you will also need to get a new clutch. the 2.8 has a 5/8" shaft and the 6.5 has a 3/4". a Max Torque or Comet clutch will work fine. you'll need one for #35 chain.

other than that, you just need to hook up the throttle and maybe remove a link or two from the chain. it's a good idea to get a chain tool for removing links. if you use it once, it's worth it. check out BMI Karts and Supplies - Home for one, they have them for about $12. just be sure to get the right one for your size chain.

do a search in the DB section for info on hooking up the throttle. there have been several threads showing different ways of doing it.

Strigoi,

I really do appreciate all the helpful post, Just got into the hobby and have a lot to learn.

I am on a budget for a motor and what parts I need to buy to make it work on my DB roller.
Besides the stock engine is there any other engine that will directly mount onto the DB.

Shelby,

Last edited:
i'd just get the engine mount plate from cjtmini. it's not very expensive and works well. with that and a clutch you're pretty much good to go.

there aren't any engines that will bolt to the stock mounting holes that are worth having, at least that i know of.