What is it?

MikeBear

I found this up on minibikecentral.

Check it out, looks like turn down handlebars, front suspension, seat suspension, and I just really like it. Now I want to track one down.

If you back out one page, the hyperlink is labeled: "Thunderbird".

It doesn't look like any Thunderbird I've seen, which are the Manco's of course.

UNLESS, it's a real old model of the Manco Thunderbird, back when they looked awesome!

Anybody know for sure?

I found this up on minibikecentral.

Check it out, looks like turn down handlebars, front suspension, seat suspension, and I just really like it. Now I want to track one down.

If you back out one page, the hyperlink is labeled: "Thunderbird".

It doesn't look like any Thunderbird I've seen, which are the Manco's of course.

UNLESS, it's a real old model of the Manco Thunderbird, back when they looked awesome!

Anybody know for sure?
mine is only a guess...looks like honda 50 front end on a bird frame?

MikeBear

Check this out, from right here on this site:

Scat Cat ASC-114

Now compare the unknown:

Only real difference I see, is that the ASC-114 has spoked wheels, and the unknown has solid wheels. Yeah, the frame is slightly different, but from all the checking I have done, it appears that Scat Cats were put together almost one at a time, out of parts on hand as they got them.

Check this out, from right here on this site:

Scat Cat ASC-114

Now compare the unknown:

Only real difference I see, is that the ASC-114 has spoked wheels, and the unknown has solid wheels. Yeah, the frame is slightly different, but from all the checking I have done, it appears that Scat Cats were put together almost one at a time, out of parts on hand as they got them.
the wheels arent solid if you look close they look like Honda wheels, here is my Scat Cat
I still think the one you have pictured is a Scat Cat or Gran Prix with a Honda seat,wheels and maybe bars

MikeBear

I still think the one you have pictured is a Scat Cat or Gran Prix with a Honda seat,wheels and maybe bars
Yeah I see what you mean, here's a Grand Prix from on site:

Here's the unknown:

It does look much closer to the unknown picture, and it's certainly possible that the unknown one is mixed and matched with some Honda 50 parts... The wheels are def. larger, and the turn-down handlebars have the screw knobs on them... The larger wheels make it look nicer, in my opinion.

How rare are the Grand Prix's? Where were they made?

Last edited:
how about a minico ram jet or possibly trail jet ? they were a honda 50 copy solid wheels and all just like this one they even had a honda 50 looking gas tank , not sure but i want to say this is a minico :scooter:

mybiz

I found the same frame. The Taiwanese did build one that took 10" wheels but they were spoked rims. And the seat on the "unknown" bike is off something else the shocks are against the frame. I'm sure the unknown is a Taiwanese frame. Look around this site you'll see some like the unknown.
Deckson, Deltek and Grand-Prix Mini Bikes

Forgot to add the kickstand on the "unknown" was used on most all the taiwanese frames

Last edited:

MikeBear

I found the same frame. The Taiwanese did build one that took 10" wheels but they were spoked rims. And the seat on the "unknown" bike is off something else the shocks are against the frame. I'm sure the unknown is a Taiwanese frame. Look around this site you'll see some like the unknown.
Deckson, Deltek and Grand-Prix Mini Bikes

Forgot to add the kickstand on the "unknown" was used on most all the taiwanese frames
Ok, I'm going to agree on this, it's a hybrid: The base frame is a Grand Prix Deluxe model.

Grand Prix Deluxe Mini - Bike

If you look closely at the "unknown" frame pic, it appears the owner cut the original footpegs off, (you can see stub spots) and added those bolt-on frame mount folding foot pegs slightly higher on the front. He also changed the seat to something else too small, those shocks are/must be rubbing against the frame, not good. He installed a version of the nicer larger Honda z50 solid wheels with the circles cut in them, I think the Honda wheels were a good move, because I think it "makes" the design much better. So, Mybiz wins this one guys, because he provided a link!

Supernova gets runner-up for agreeing that the Grand Prix is the closest, and because I really like that dog pic he has as an avatar! Cracks me up everytime I see it :drinkup:

Ok, now one more question: are these available in the US? I sure as heck ain't paying the money to ship one from Oz!