What Tecumseh engine is this?

capguncowboy

I agree with Markus. Dusters were made in late 73 and 74. If it's original, then it's gotta be one of those years. Also, I said HS40 back on page 1 :laugh:

markus

Markus is the expert here, I'm just an amateur at this. I thought by 1975 the plug wire was routed around the back of the engine rather than the front. That's why I said early 70's.

Anyway, it is whatever year your bike is. :laugh: They didn't make Cats after the mid 70's. :thumbsup:
Revisions dated as late as July 1974 still show the small frame H and HS40 using the round top shroud and thinner aluminum flywheels, unfortunately I don't have a revision after that showing the start up date for the conversion to the larger steel wheels and bigger shrouds but some other advance revision sheets I have show major changes that happen around October 1 dates..getting them in full swing for the new model year. I do know that the HS40 went "square" by 1975 only because I have had them off Late roadster2's. Sometime during 1976 (still trying to get a better timeline on that) the heads changed to reroute the plug wire straight up from under the shroud instead of wrapping around the front and they angled one of the fins to clear wire. I have never seen a mini bike specific have the wire routed from the back, I did get a snowblower engine in once that did appear to maybe have been original like that, but it was pinched to the point of going through the casing up against the corner of the breather or something. it may have been re routed to clear an optional 120v starter, which is most likely the reason they simplified and went to the plug thru the top setup on the entire small frame lineup.

Revisions dated as late as July 1974 still show the small frame H and HS40 using the round top shroud and thinner aluminum flywheels, unfortunately I don't have a revision after that showing the start up date for the conversion to the larger steel wheels and bigger shrouds but some other advance revision sheets I have show major changes that happen around October 1 dates..getting them in full swing for the new model year. I do know that the HS40 went "square" by 1975 only because I have had them off Late roadster2's. Sometime during 1976 (still trying to get a better timeline on that) the heads changed to reroute the plug wire straight up from under the shroud instead of wrapping around the front and they angled one of the fins to clear wire. I have never seen a mini bike specific have the wire routed from the back, I did get a snowblower engine in once that did appear to maybe have been original like that, but it was pinched to the point of going through the casing up against the corner of the breather or something. it may have been re routed to clear an optional 120v starter, which is most likely the reason they simplified and went to the plug thru the top setup on the entire small frame lineup.
Cool, thank you for that. Yes, the 1975s I have seen with the wire routed around the back were on snowblowers!

And I guess you are saying this one must have the cast iron flywheel or the newer shroud / recoil someone installed on here wouldn't work (?) That actually makes sense... :laugh: And narrows the years down to just a couple. See I can learn. :thumbsup:

markus

Cool, thank you for that. Yes, the 1975s I have seen with the wire routed around the back were on snowblowers!

And I guess you are saying this one must have the cast iron flywheel or the newer shroud / recoil someone installed on here wouldn't work (?) That actually makes sense... :laugh: And narrows the years down to just a couple. See I can learn. :thumbsup:
Correct, you can actually see the steel wheel in one of the photos. But also the backing plates do not interchange from the round top to squaretop so all that would have had to been changed out as well to even fit that shroud.

I can post any picture you guys need. I pulled the engine off to check for cracks or cracked welds on the engine plate, non found :)
I took the shroud off so I could remove the head. I can post pics of the flywheel, coil, whatever you need or want to see.
I want to mark the best answer for this thread but also want to make sure of what I have first :)
I'm happy to see it is a 4hp. Thank you guys very much for the info thus far, I appreciate it.

Danford1

I would have to say capguncowboy was the first to answer this What is it question on page 1 post 4, minikenny confirmed it in post 6 and more info started to flow as the thread went on, reinforcing the HS40 answer.
Thank you guys for all the help.

Also, it does have an iron flywheel with a plastic fan.
I'm going to pull the flywheel and inspect the points etc. I want to add a kill switch. It used to have a spark plug shorting strip on the head but that broke off a long time ago...

Danford1

capguncowboy

I would have to say capguncowboy was the first to answer this What is it question on page 1 post 4, minikenny confirmed it in post 6 and more info started to flow as the thread went on, reinforcing the HS40 answer.
Thank you guys for all the help.

Also, it does have an iron flywheel with a plastic fan.
I'm going to pull the flywheel and inspect the points etc. I want to add a kill switch. It used to have a spark plug shorting strip on the head but that broke off a long time ago...

Danford1
You can add a killswitch to the ground nut (bottom of the stater under the flywheel) and connect that to the kill switch. I never liked those plug kill tabs anyway