What would you do?

A little over a month ago someone brought me a minibike to repair, it was an oldie, a Cat, with an old briggs motor on it, it has points in it so it's old!
Well along with the points, it has the 4 bolt magneto in it, I looked on line, and magnetos are quite expencive, but I found a used one for $30.00, time I got it home here, plus I put a fresh set of points in it, and a new diaphram in the carb, also cleaned it up some, well it took awhile to get it running, (about a 3 weeks), and when I got it running, I called the guy, and he said he was broke, but he would pick it up next Friday, which was 2 fridays ago, i called Saturday morning, cause he didn't come on Friday and he said that his house got broken into, bla bla, and he would pick it, the friday after Thanksgiving, again I called him on Saturday morning and asked What's up, he's saying that he's still having financial problems, now I told him at first that my fee would be $40.00 to look at the bike and if it took parts, it would be plus parts.
When he asked me how much it was to get the bike back, I told him it would be $100.00, including the parts. What would be the grace period to wait until I quit calling him? Is it 30 days or should I go longer?
dave

What to do

My suggestion is to call him 1 more time. Tell him the current total cost to recover the bike from you.Tell him if it is not picked up in 30 days it will be sold. If he has no "claim check" or title to the bike. He really has no way to claim this bike from you. Give him the benifit of the doubt,give him the time and even ask him "Hey,put yourself in my shoes,I spent my money and time to fix your bike,now what would you do?" see what he says.:hammer:

delray

looks like it's yours:thumbsup: or play the same game that he is? so when he comes back for it in 3or4+months or year later?tell him you sold it! you needed the money:wink:ha..ha...maybe if it's a good friend i would hang on to it for awhile and see what happens? sometimes that can be a hard call in what to do about it?

Document your contacts with him in writing... just jot down the times and dates along with notes about the conversation as backup for your case if it gets further out of control.

Give him 30 days notice (in writing) to pick it up, wait a few days after that, then sell it to cover your costs.

mardyn

Last edited:
Write him up an itemized bill. With that bill, write a letter explaining that you seem to be getting the run around from him. Ask that if he is sincere, he would give something in good faith. Maybe a payment plan. Keep clear that you will hold the property until paid in full! Make sure "MAKE SURE" you mail that letter registered and certified with signature required from him!!! Any legal action by him in the future would not hold up. If he signs the letter upon receiving from post office, your covered! If he doesn't sign, he does not get the letter. With your receipts from the post office, it proves he is blowing you off. All courts love documentation, like certified registered letters. Your ass is covered. Make COPIES of the bill and all letters!!! All professional and legite!!

Looks like I will be adding another Cat to my collection!!!! I already have 2, so a 3rd won't be bad!!! I'm pretty sure he won't be picking it up this month, it's cold and snowy here in beautifull Akron O, so minibike riding is pretty much out of season, plus Christmas coming up, doubt if he'll have any extra money to give to me, oh well a clone motor would be great on this frame, and I could use the motor,(in pieces) on other projects. I'll probably give him until Christmas, after that...
dave

Mac

I used to do work for others.
Now if they want my help I require they stay and help.
That way they see what's involved in fixing their piece of :censored:
(And it's always a piece of :censored: when I first see it)

With a name like sinner of courseyou know about The Fuzzy Grape! Actually it has a new name but, I'm from the old school "Fuzzy Grape". The new name is Gentleman's Club. How lame is that!

Dave, Most states have what is known as a "Mechanic's Lien" and it was made for situations just like yours. Check with your local magistrate or small claims court regarding the procedure and then follow it to the letter. You should be successful. Do not just up and sell his bike. It's not yours to sell until you take legal title to it via the mechanic's lien. Then you can do what you want with it. In some jurisdictions he can sue you for triple damages and win because you did not follow the law....Ogy....and follow Fullthrottle's advice and document EVERYTHING !

well id do wht they all say tell him he's go 30 days and than its yours hehe write everythign down ! and put it in a safe place as me and my brother once made a pond for a guy and after the walls fell in because he turned it on too early we fixed it but then it fell in again and he wanted us to fix it once more even tho we had already lost money on the pond and we underquoted him. Anyways we had everything in documents and he wanted to take us to court 4 days after that our house and car had been broken into and stupid us left the documents in glove compartment of car.... well all documents were gone and house was a mess.. we put up cameras after that and we won our court case but remember have everything on doucuments and in safe place!