Whats the top Mph a mini bike has ever gone ???

Good question. I'd like to know what they top out at too. A GPS on board video would be nice :)
Here are some 1/8 mile runs. The 4 strokes were doing about 75 in the 1/8 mile.
That 102 mph run had a snowmobile engine...

Danford1

[video=youtube;T9OsHiuH2jI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9OsHiuH2jI[/video]

I would think a mini could blow that 152 pedal power record into the weeds ..

Whos the OldMiniBikes member looking to get into the record books?!?

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Briggs flatheads (5HP) are used in Jr Dragsters and can go about 90MPH and pull down a sub-8-second run in the 1/8 mile, but these engines are very heavily modified. You can buy a prebuilt engine for about $2500 from Summit racing.

This last summer my son and I saw a small tire mini going down mound road passing cars that were doing 55 to 60...in the dark!!! We didnt get a great look because he was swerving and curving through traffic like a nut....I just know it was a older small tire(4")mini... We were impressed at the top end pull he had. Not a world record Im sure but cool none the less

I think the faster you go the less "mini bike" it will be ...
Like Evel Knievel's "bike" he jumped the Snake River Canyon with was anything but a bike ...

I think you need to narrow it down, how fast has a minibike gone with a 196cc, 212 49cc. Etc. Anyone can squeeze any size motor into a mini and go fast. People put r1 1000cc engines on go carts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Recognized organizations don't allow record attempts with bikes with smaller than 15" wheels. That knocks mini bikes out. Some of the current "drag" bikes build with those backwards Chinese engines have wheels almost that big to hit nearly 90 MPH. They aren't mini bikes once the wheels exceed six inches.

There were several unofficial runs exceeding 100 with old two strokes on mini bikes. For most of us, this subject becomes moot when you start talking OHV backwards facing engines. It's simple to shove in as many cubic inches of Chinese Wizardry you can fit, pay someone to build it to hold 12K RPM and go be a hero with six inch tri stars.

If you want to go fast, or have a bike fit an obese adult male, get a motorcycle.

I cant determine which engine Bonanza had on this one. The runs are documented elsewhere on the net.

scan00067.jpg

Ole that stands to reason for bike #86, though 88 definitely has a two stroke expansion chamber. The commentary that they gave up 41 cc's is telling:

1 1969 86 Bonanza minibike J. Conlan PSA-AG-175 92.561
2 1969 88 Bonanza minibike J. Conlan A-A-100 79.774

An interesting story a friend just related:

According to Mike Farrand the guy pictured riding the bike, John Conlan, was basically a "floor sweeper" at Bonanza who begged to tag along on the trip to Bonneville. The guy who was supposed to ride the bike was Bonanza's hot-shoe kart racer Kenny Robinson. They got there and unloaded and Robinson couldn't get comfortable on the bike as the small wheels were following the cracks in the salt and freaking him out. He said the bike didn't fit him well. The floor sweeper kid asked if he could try and took off like there was nothing to it. I think he set 2 or 3 records in different classes. After that year mini bikes were banned from Bonneville so I guess those records will forever stand.

old_minibike.jpg

minibike_racing.jpg

That's wild...In that last picture he's not even wearing gloves (I guess they won't have done much if he fell). I can't wrap my head around 90 MPH on salt on a mini bike. :mellow: