Which Engine

I'm going to get one of these Tec. engines.I wanted to throw them up on here to see if there is anything I should be aware of with any one of these engines.I will be using 1 for upgrading my 5hp Tec. engine in my mini.I have plenty of room in my frame.I will also use my Comet TAV2 on the engine.I have read the Comet TC can be put on engines up to 8hp but I have seen them on several 10hp Tec.engines online.I'd appreciate anything you have to add.

1.Far Left Engine Is:

10hp Horizontal 3/4"x2-3/8" Shaft, Muffler, LOS, 1 Gallon Tank, Recoil Start, Adjustable Throttle

Product Number: LH358XA-34-Adj
10hp Tecumseh
Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve
Mounting: Horizontal
Electric Start: No
Fuel Tank: 1 gallon
Oil Capacity: 26 ounces
Oil Type: Summer: SAE 30, Winter: SAE 5W30
Shaft Size: 3/4"Dx2-3/8"L
Muffler: Included
Height: 13.7"
Depth (Less Shaft): 12.4"
Width: 17.9"

2.Middle Engine Is:

TECUMSEH 8 HP
MODEL: HM80-155661 POWERSPORT

POWER SPORT GO Kart Engine or Minibike Engine

These engines have been stored in a warehouse for several years. The shaft may show oxidation signs from just sitting for so long and you may need to be lightly sanded. They are new engines bought from Tecumseh by a kart manufacturer that just never used them and left them sitting.

# Enduro Power Sport series
# Recoil starter
# 1" Diameter x 2-9/16" Keyed Crankshaft
# Spring loaded remote throttle
# Has Fuel Pump
# Drilled and tapped mounting pads

3.Right Engine Is:

Tecumseh HM80 -155726 (Z) 8 HP
New Model Number: LH318XA - 156033

For Troy-Bilt Tillers without 2:1 PTO
# Recoil Start
# Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve
# 3/4" x 2-3/8" Crankshaft part #36245
# 3/16" Keyway - Drilled & Tapped 3/8-24
# For a Troy Bilt Tiller Without 2:1 Aux. PTO
# Has muffler guard
# Ideal for tillers -
# This small engine fits many Troy Built Tillers

one or three,

They both have the 3/4 inch shafts, and thats less expensive to find a clutch for than the one inch shaft,

for number one you get two more horsepower, and you can find the fabled teke start parts while they are still out there.

There are some torque converters that are made for more horsepower than just 8, this may be what you are seeing

**Id really go with number one, Theyre monsters, look good, and run damn hard,

I may be very wrong on this, but I think that like the powersport, the formula was built for karting use? youd have to run that by someone else thou

Last edited:
Go with #1 the HM100. Best bang for your buck! Plus it has the cast iron sleve! I have one on my Powell with a Tav-2 and have had no problem with a minibike. We ran a 10hp on a gokart with a tav-2 and it would rip up the belts within 25 hours or so, but i have about 40 or so hours on my Powell with no real wear problems. :thumbsup:

one or three,

They both have the 3/4 inch shafts, and thats less expensive to find a clutch for than the one inch shaft,

for number one you get two more horsepower, and you can find the fabled teke start parts while they are still out there.

There are some torque converters that are made for more horsepower than just 8, this may be what you are seeing

**Id really go with number one, Theyre monsters, look good, and run damn hard,

I may be very wrong on this, but I think that like the powersport, the formula was built for karting use? youd have to run that by someone else thou
Thanks Jay,
It just so happens after it's all said and done the 10hp Tec. engine would be the cheapest.About 350.00.The 8hp Powersport is cheapest priced but I would have to buy a larger bore front pulley for my TAV2 to fit the 1" shaft. Again Thanks...