Whirlwind project

kayde

Hey guys it's been awhile but I figured I would share my recent project.

For starters I've sold off my rupp scrambler and t555 but still have my super bronc .

Sometimes it gets lonely riding alone so when this little ken bar whirlwind roller popped up for sale locally a few weeks ago my best offer was excepted and a new to me project started.

Overall it obviously dont need much, a good cleaning and a few parts too get it going again.

Attachments

kayde

Initially i was gonna put a predator on it but mostly kids will be riding it and they dont need that extra power, besides I already have a peiced together hs50 and a spare tav that will look just rite and still be close too what it should be.

And for giggles I put on a spare hm80 too see how it fits...you know in case I change my mind lol

Attachments

kayde

I pulled the hs50 for modding the throttle linkage and to start making a header.

Discussing my build plans with a buddy he then tells me I still have a motor I never picked up at his place from a trade for work I did for him whoa!

Some might remember the bushwacker i posted in the freak bike thread that I put a Briggs 206 on, well this is what I got in return...perfect for this mini.

Attachments

delray

flathead is perfect for your build. especially if kids are going to ride it. more then enough power with a torque converter. good bike to learn on. i have road one in the pass. kind of bike that likes to stand up and ride nice and turn easy. as the kids get better and older/bigger. you can easily do couple hot rod tricks to that engine and really make it move out for a flathead....:scooter:

kayde

flathead is perfect for your build. especially if kids are going to ride it. more then enough power with a torque converter. good bike to learn on. i have road one in the pass. kind of bike that likes to stand up and ride nice and turn easy. as the kids get better and older/bigger. you can easily do couple hot rod tricks to that engine and really make it move out for a flathead....:scooter:

Thanks delray,
It is a nice easy ride.
I've always like the frame design on these and it is well built I was surprised too find a popped spot weld on the rear fender(thinkin no seat the po sat on fender)but that was easy too get back into shape and weld back on.

Even the granddaughter was flatfooted and stable on it. Cool weather brings layers of clothes great for learning too ride.

Parts arrived and now its rideable, a cheap ebay bobber seat fit great, 9 /48 tooth gearing and a comet tavs makes it snappy but not a speed demon.

Need a bar mounted kill switch, make a chain guard and tav cover and foot pegs too finish it off yet.
We went with a Baja Doodle Bug style of kill switch for our bikes. Kinda fragile, but easy for our wee men and women to sort out.
Nice project. We like our Whirlwind.

kayde

Thanks everyone.

I have a bunch of these push button switches so I rigged one up too work for the kill switch.
I wouldn't let anyone ride it until it had a off button but once it was tested for function a ride was in order.
The big one is happy he dont hafta ride in the trailer anymore lol.

It's time too replace my temporary I bolt foot pegs.
Anyone have a pic of what the original foot pegs look like on a whirlwind,
Even on zoom it's tough too see them when searching.

Attachments

kayde

I needed a break from my other project so I tinkerd with the whirlwind project for a bit.
It's been riden pretty much since I put it together and really hasnt given any issues except when I had it out in the deep snow the comet driver kept hanging up so i knew it needed some attention.

Finally took off the dangerous "I" bolt foot pegs and put the real foot pegs I bought a few months ago.
Checked the plug, changed the oil and lubed up the driver and chain.
I readjusted the brake for better stopping and installed a brake return spring then the last thing was checking the tire psi.

Afterwards for two weekends in a row i took it for a good hard ride and everything worked great so I finally installed the tav cover and called it done for now.

Then last weekend i got it out for a friend an I to go for a ride and i thought the spring in the recoil popped while trying too start it.
Pulled the recoil and the pawls fell out, luckily I had a extra hssk50 recoil that fit and works but is butt ugly...it saved the ride though.

Why would the metal pawls fall out of the recoil?

Attachments

Harquebus

Great series on your Ken-Bar Whirlwind. Reminds me there‘s all kinds of latter-era American made minibikes that aren’t exactly classics. I was looking at a Carter Brothers catalog and they have a minibike in the lineup...never seen one before.

I like your kill switch solution—looks like an accessory horn button thats usually found in auto parts stores.

kayde

Great series on your Ken-Bar Whirlwind. Reminds me there‘s all kinds of latter-era American made minibikes that aren’t exactly classics. I was looking at a Carter Brothers catalog and they have a minibike in the lineup...never seen one before.

I like your kill switch solution—looks like an accessory horn button thats usually found in auto parts stores.

There's a few nice bikes from the era of the whirlwind, the mancos an murrays are good bikes to.

I would like too find a good deal on the bigger model of the whirlwind.

It is a generic horn button
I have a abundance of them and figured why not, easy for the kids to understand and use,you cant miss the BIG off button.
I wouldn't use one of those switches a cool bike though lol .