Why are these hard to find

FunWithStuff

I've noticed that with the vintage Tecumsehs that the muffler/exhaust gasket is hard to find as well.

On most of them the muffler/exhaust gasket is actually the same as the intake gasket so you could just buy an intake gasket and it would work perfectly. It doesn't look like yours is that way though.

My only guess as to why it is hard to find is because Tecumseh thought the mufflers would almost never get bothered with since you rarely have to service them, so there wasn't a need to make an exhaust gasket since they wouldn't be able to sell for them to make a profit.

I'm no Tecumseh expert, this is just a reasonable guess. Hopefully someone on here might be able to give a great answer.

Bbqman

I've noticed that with the vintage Tecumsehs that the muffler/exhaust gasket is hard to find as well.

On most of them the muffler/exhaust gasket is actually the same as the intake gasket so you could just buy an intake gasket and it would work perfectly. It doesn't look like yours is that way though.

My only guess as to why it is hard to find is because Tecumseh thought the mufflers would almost never get bothered with since you rarely have to service them, so there wasn't a need to make an exhaust gasket since they wouldn't be able to sell for them to make a profit.

I'm no Tecumseh expert, this is just a reasonable guess. Hopefully someone on here might be able to give a great answer.
I have found all my gaskets and most parts on ebay or parts tree or Jack's small engine

FunWithStuff

I have found all my gaskets and most parts on ebay or parts tree or Jack's small engine
That hasn't worked to well for me on most vintage Tecumsehs. On Jack's Small Engines this 1974 HS40 doesn't even have a choice for the muffler/exhaust gasket nor is there a part number listed (number 156 in the photo). Parts Tree is the same way. Polish_20210917_095325871.png

At least for this one the intake gasket was the same as exhaust gasket so I was able to get one of those, but whatever engine this person has it doesn't look like it that is the case.

f4radar

You know my post was vague and garbled. I was asking about the metal exhaust flange for welding pipe to. I cut one out of some plate using the gasket as a template. But while we’re on the subject of gaskets l was going to put the side cover on that hs50 yesterday and opened the eBay gasket kit I ordered a couple weeks ago and the side cover gasket was missing. So I cleaned the garage instead.

FunWithStuff

You know my post was vague and garbled. I was asking about the metal exhaust flange for welding pipe to. I cut one out of some plate using the gasket as a template. But while we’re on the subject of gaskets l was going to put the side cover on that hs50 yesterday and opened the eBay gasket kit I ordered a couple weeks ago and the side cover gasket was missing. So I cleaned the garage instead.
Oh that makes more sense now lol. When I saw your first picture with the drawing of the gasket I thought you were trying to make your own. That's awful to hear that you were missing a gasket from your gasket kit. Was the one you bought an OEM Tecumseh Kit or an aftermarket?

f4radar

Oh that makes more sense now lol. When I saw your first picture with the drawing of the gasket I thought you were trying to make your own. That's awful to hear that you were missing a gasket from your gasket kit. Was the one you bought an OEM Tecumseh Kit or an aftermarket?
They called it a genuine set but it showed up in plain cardboard... maybe they mean't it was FOR a genuine Tecumseh

FunWithStuff

They called it a genuine set but it showed up in plain cardboard... maybe they mean't it was FOR a genuine Tecumseh
Yeah. I've bought those before too. I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket. That is why when it comes to most Tecumseh parts I don't buy it without having a photo of original packaging.