Yard sale find

I bought this compressor the other day at a yard sale. I don’t know much about compressors
But this one just seem cool and for $20 I couldn’t pass it up. The motor runs good and the compressor seems to also. It seems to be missing a fitting I am guessing an blow off valve??
The guy told me it was a constant air compressor so I would think it would have to have some kind of relief valve?? He said it was his Dads and his Dad use to paint with it. He was pretty old him self so the thing has to be pretty old?? It weighs a ton. Anybody know what I have here??? I am going to see The Evil one on Saturday and thought I would bring it thinking he would know????

It may be made from an old refrigeration compressor, I don't know, but it looks like it is intended for the purpose the PO used it for, i.e. painting/air brushing. Even today, you can buy small compressors that are meant only to be used for air brushing, this looks, to me, to be possibly an old homebuilt or possibly a commercial version of that idea (the tiny tank and how its attached looks like it came from factory that way).

Another possible use that the compressor could have been originally intended for that just occurred to me is for a dry pipe fire sprinkler system. They normally have some small compressors that are only intended to pressurize the pipe and maintain the pressure when there are small air leaks. This one maybe too small, but it is another potential origination of this compressor.

Paul

oldfatguy

I think that the glass bowl is an air dryer so it could have been used for painting. I have an old Binks tank less compressor that is for painting and it makes about 35 lbs of air pressure. Your compressor will make about the same if it is for painting. It should have a pressure relief or regulator on it to make it safe to use and so that you can adjust the air pressure. The regulator and hose connection fittings are easily available. Then all you need is a small spray gun and you will be ready to paint your next mini bike project.

I think that the glass bowl is an air dryer so it could have been used for painting. I have an old Binks tank less compressor that is for painting and it makes about 35 lbs of air pressure. Your compressor will make about the same if it is for painting. It should have a pressure relief or regulator on it to make it safe to use and so that you can adjust the air pressure. The regulator and hose connection fittings are easily available. Then all you need is a small spray gun and you will be ready to paint your next mini bike project.
Cool thats what I was hoping for.

I'm curious why an air compressor wouldn't have a storage tank? Even with my small HVLP gravity gun, painting minibike frames requires constant starting with my smaller compressor, but it's five times the size of this thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool, and that is a huge motor. I think with that setup, I'd find an old tank and hook it up. :shrug:

oldfatguy

I'm curious why an air compressor wouldn't have a storage tank? Even with my small HVLP gravity gun, painting minibike frames requires constant starting with my smaller compressor, but it's five times the size of this thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool, and that is a huge motor. I think with that setup, I'd find an old tank and hook it up. :shrug:
I think that it is made to be portable. I can post a pic of it if you want to see it . It's just an electric motor with a small compressor on the end of it. Granted, a large compressor with a tank is better for painting. I wouldn't paint a car with the small compressor but it would be perfect for small jobs .

Vintage Binks portable Air Compressor - Bing Images

Maybe portable if it had a smaller motor on it, it is very heavy the way it is. For $20 I thought it was cool. Probably never use it. Oh well:shrug:

Airbrush compressor I can buy. But that is a LOT of motor for that application. Still a cool find.

A bit of irony- yesterday after posting here, a friend came by and wants me to fix his 5HP BS flathead powered compressor. I might just buy it from him.