You 2smokers might be interested in this

i saw that stuff at walmart i think. what a ripoff! Plus most 2 cycles have different fuel to oil ratios. Especially weed wackers vs. motor bikes. I think i got a gallon of 2 stroke oil from the auto parts store for 16$

I got it for under 5 bucks a bottle(3/4 gal) at walmart, just to try it in my weedwacker! works awesome, I havent had to touch the tank all season. But I have no idea for a bike, I dont think the mix would be right . and it would not be cost effective!! Honestly I cant beleive I bought it in the 1st place!! :shrug:

i saw that stuff at walmart i think. what a ripoff! Plus most 2 cycles have different fuel to oil ratios. Especially weed wackers vs. motor bikes. I think i got a gallon of 2 stroke oil from the auto parts store for 16$
Good point, I dont know how far you looked into the site but they have a 40:1 fuel called........ 40fuel. The higher ratios of fuel to oil of (like 25:1 of the late 60s early 70's) the past were based on the oil technology available at the time , the technology has changed resulting in less oil being required. It is pricy, I think this product is more geared toward areas that cannot get gas that is not blended with ethanol (like 60%+ of the U.S. yours included). Anyone who has dealt with 2 cycles engines for any length of time already know the issues that ethanol in fuel can pose to tuning and performance. Not to mention the breakdown (rot) of seals and other soft rubber and plastic components that come in contact with fuel that has ethanol content, namely crank seals, fuel lines, diaphragms, shutoff seats. etc.. Most people dont realize that non-synthetic 2-cycle oils (like that $16 a gal. you mentioned) can break down in less than a week after mixed, this breakdown will result in lowering the lubrication properties that result in accelerated wear of the engines components. I guess some people have to make the decision between saving money on fuel compared to the premature wearing out of their engines. This is not anything new by any means.

yea im sure theres people that it would work out nicely for. It wouldnt be good for those who go through alot of it though. I think alot of the lower ratio numbers have to do with the epa more than the actual design of the engines. I know one of my weedwackers was like a 48:1 ratio. The guy i got it from couldnt get it running. I figured out the muffler had a little screen in it that was clogged with soot. My best guess is it acts as a tiny catalytic converter. Probrobly clogged from too much oil in the gas. Iv since fixed two or three more wackers by removing that dumb screen. Cant go wrong with more oil I say. I dont mind a little bit of smoke it keeps the bugs away :shrug:

...I figured out the muffler had a little screen in it that was clogged with soot. My best guess is it acts as a tiny catalytic converter...
I think it's actually supposed to be a spark arrestor. Oh, and $16/gal for pre-mixed pre-mix just sounds like a rip-off. BTW, my '99 KTM 250 ran great for a long time at the recommended 50:1 w/Maxima Super M synthetic blend oil. The KTM's gone, but I still I run the Maxima in my Honda MB5 and Express, my Mac leaf blower and my early 70's Homelite EZ chainsaw. The Hondas have autolube systems, I run the leaf blower and chain saw at 40:1.

Go to the marina to buy your fuel. Its non blended fuel. We use that and race fuel. Never touch the pump shit anymore.

Go to the marina to buy your fuel. Its non blended fuel. We use that and race fuel. Never touch the pump shit anymore.
I live near the western basin of lake erie, read that all the marinas and yatch clubs switched in 2009, the only one that did not, switched over this year. Rumors were going around that some were going to switchh back.I was looking for non blended for my 72 pontiac that sat in storage for 18 years. Wanted to avoid haveing to change fuel filters all the time as the ethanol washes away all the old varnish in the fuel system. Ohio and michigan dont have labeling requirements for pumps. Im still looking.

There is a simmilar product in Eroup and also sold out of Vancouver call Aspen 2T.
Its a reformed gasoline ( much more highly refined ) and its runs pretty clean. Huskavarna recommends it.

This 40 and 50 stuff smells funny...
The nose knows to be honest and I can smell things in there that make me a little uneasy about the product. Xylene is in there in quanity and I get a wiff of light Nahptha in there too. These are stable hydrocarbons but its the sovent properties of the Xylene our what ever aromatic in there I smell that bothers me. That stuff will probably desolve just about everything it can in your fuel system like carb cleaner on steroids.

As a rule of thumb I don't go around sniffing things, but over the years I have come to know what bad things smell like...

Persoanly I think Alkylate gasoline is a better choice for the same money.

On the other hand you could probably blend something stable and high octane with a mixture of paint grade Xylene and Coleman camping fuel ( with the added bennifits of Coleman's corrosion inhibittors in there ) for the same price and know exactly what your burning.
I have considered this myself.....

I live near the western basin of lake erie, read that all the marinas and yatch clubs switched in 2009, the only one that did not, switched over this year. Rumors were going around that some were going to switchh back.I was looking for non blended for my 72 pontiac that sat in storage for 18 years. Wanted to avoid haveing to change fuel filters all the time as the ethanol washes away all the old varnish in the fuel system. Ohio and michigan dont have labeling requirements for pumps. Im still looking.
Boyyyy that aint no crap... I'd like to see them label that :001_9898: coming out of the pumps at the South End store at Duck Lake.. :glare: They only carry the low grade.. And when I fill up the Suicycle out there, I can look in the sediment bulb and see orange gas.. :glare:

Your right about some states don't have labeling requirements for Ethanol. I for one think if they sell a Ethanol blend gas, labels should be mandatory at the pump. We had a station here saying 100% Ethanol free, then we found out it was just B.S. when a friend saw a tanker truck pull out of the station and go across the street to a 10% blend station so he asked the driver and the driver said all he hauls is 10% blend.

Found this today. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada Not too many left, please add to the lists if you can.

That's just your stinking opinion !
One which I just happen to agree with :thumbsup:
Lot's of Vintage guy's bash Bel-Ray, and a lot of them fall for the 50:1 :001_9898: too. I still run 20:1 in my 77 RM 125B & 25:1 in my Husky's just like the factory's reccomended. Maybe that's why they rebuild their top-end every year :laugh:

I dont use anything but Bel-Ray in my 2-Strokes, Best pre-mix oil out there.:thumbsup:

That's just your stinking opinion !
One which I just happen to agree with :thumbsup:
Lot's of Vintage guy's bash Bel-Ray, and a lot of them fall for the 50:1 :001_9898: too. I still run 20:1 in my 77 RM 125B & 25:1 in my Husky's just like the factory's reccomended. Maybe that's why they rebuild their top-end every year :laugh:

Engines that run 20:1 and 25:1 should run longer and wear less, not just because of the extra lubrication the oil provides, but because the engine will make less power with those ratios, oil takes the place of fuel, and the lean effect of less fuel is balanced out with the oils cooling and sometimes fouled plugs. Dont take my word for it, try 32:1 and then tell me I am wrong, then try 50:1 More oil=less fuel, less fuel = less power these are facts not to be debated. Some people think the EPA cracked down on oil ratios etc. Reality is two strokes blow out alot of unburned fuel, its what they do and thats the issue, burning oil has nothing to do with it, if it did there would be no diesels on the road. Oil technology has changed, the advent of synthetics has been the major leap forward. You can get the same lubrication with half as much now. You should always take plug readings when making any fuel changes.

LESS POWER??? AYFKM.... First of all you need to know how to properly jet a carb. Then you might want to do some more research on vintage two-stroke engines. Now Bel-Ray has been making MC-1 Synthetic two-stroke forever, I started using it in the mid 70's and they still make it today.
Next....

LESS POWER??? AYFKM.... First of all you need to know how to properly jet a carb. Then you might want to do some more research on vintage two-stroke engines. Now Bel-Ray has been making MC-1 Synthetic two-stroke forever, I started using it in the mid 70's and they still make it today.
Next....
Heres a copy and paste for your MC-1 oil:
Bel-Ray MC-1 2-Cycle Synthetic Racing Lubricant is a smokeless premium high Viscosity Index, high molecular weight fully synthetic ester lubricant specifically formulated for high dilution ratios. For premix in high performance air-cooled or liquid-cooled 2-stroke engines in motorcycles and ATVs under racing conditions, Bel-Ray MC-1 has unsurpassed film strength and load carrying ability for superior anti-wear.

Applications

* For premix only. Recommended ratio of 50:1 (2% oil), but can be used in ratios between 50:1 and 80:1 depending on engine type and usage. Equally suitable for air-cooled or liquid-cooled high performance engines

Notice the recomended ratios, your what at 20-25:1? I guess you know more about their product that they do. This in it self should say enough.

Oh, and as far as jetting goes, did you notice how I mentioned plug readings? I guess you use plug readings for something else or maybe you read the piston crown, with that much oil I can just imagine what that looks like.

Now dont get all hurt and start quoting Jennings on me.:laugh:

Just because I use their oil does not mean I use their recommended oil ratios that they list today. I use the engine mfg's recommended oil ratio's. They also didn't list those ratio's back in the 70's & early 80's, they started that back when power valve engines came out. Remember I am talking about vintage air cooled engines. Just email the tech's at Bel-Ray they will tell you. I have several times on a few of their products.
Their is more to jetting a bike than just reading a plug. You have a lot to learn. Most all of my two-stroke knowledge comes from 35+ years experience.
Here is some good reading for you to start with.
http://articles.superhunky.com/4/194

Last edited: