Bolting forks to frame; just a nut and bolt?

Hey guys. I know this is probably really simple, but is bolting the forks to the frame of the mini bike really just as simple as finding a bolt that fits in the neck and then tightening it down with a nut? Does there need to be a bearing or anything to help the forks and handlebars rotate, or is it really just a simple nut and bolt?

mustangfrank

Hey guys. I know this is probably really simple, but is bolting the forks to the frame of the mini bike really just as simple as finding a bolt that fits in the neck and then tightening it down with a nut? Does there need to be a bearing or anything to help the forks and handlebars rotate, or is it really just a simple nut and bolt?
Post pictures for the best advice. There is/was most likely bearings or bushings.

Post pictures for the best advice. There is/was most likely bearings or bushings.
Thank you, here are some pictures. Sorry, was a little busy last night but just got some:

Neck of the frame
IMG_9797.jpg

Bottom of the fork where the bolt goes through
IMG_9796.jpg

Bottom of fork, middle portion
IMG_9795.jpg

Top of fork where bolt goes through
IMG_9794.jpg

Fork and handlebar assembly
IMG_9793.jpg

Usually there are bushings or bearings that fit into the top and bottom of the head tube, with the ID of the bushings or bearings matching the OD of the bolt.
Some frames use bearing cups with bearings like a bicycle frame.

Usually there are bushings or bearings that fit into the top and bottom of the head tube, with the ID of the bushings or bearings matching the OD of the bolt.
My '69 Lil Indian has bushings in the steering head. The '67 Lil Indian that I sold a few weeks ago had nothing. It just had a big bolt through a tube.

Thanks! It seems like only the top one has a cup where one may fit; the bottom looks to have a groove inside of the bolt hole, but otherwise flat top and bottom.

Doc1976

MANY bikes only used a bolt through. This is why the steering head becomes so sloppy after years of use. Hard to tell by the pics what the dimensions are, but it looks as if that is just regular tube for the steering head. I use DOM for that tube 7/8 x .120 wall. That allows me to use bronze flange bushings and 1/2 bolt. This look like a custom frame, you need to measure the I.D. of the head tube and the triple clamps to determine which direction to go. Report back.

Doc1976

After looking at the pics, that weld on the head tube looks questionable and the tube itself looks almost distorted at the top/rear portion. Could just be the pics but...... I would look over those welds closely, if they were to break while riding that could be dangerous.

MANY bikes only used a bolt through. This is why the steering head becomes so sloppy after years of use. Hard to tell by the pics what the dimensions are, but it looks as if that is just regular tube for the steering head. I use DOM for that tube 7/8 x .120 wall. That allows me to use bronze flange bushings and 1/2 bolt. This look like a custom frame, you need to measure the I.D. of the head tube and the triple clamps to determine which direction to go. Report back.
Thanks! I will check the welds and the distortion, I actually didn’t notice when I bought it so might be the pics; will take a look. Sorry for my ignorance, but, when you say I.D. of the head tube and triple clamps, which part of the forks are you referring to?

Doc1976

Thanks! I will check the welds and the distortion, I actually didn’t notice when I bought it so might be the pics; will take a look. Sorry for my ignorance, but, when you say I.D. of the head tube and triple clamps, which part of the forks are you referring to?
The two "plates " on the forks where the bolt goes to hold the forks on would be the triple clamps. (Motorcycle term). The I.D. would be the inside diameter of the head tube. (The tube that the bolt goes through to hold on the forks)
So, the inside diameter of the head tube and the diameter of the holes in the triple clamps are the important factors here to determine how to to mount the forks. I don't know your level of tooling, but a dial caliper would come in handy here over a tape measure. Report back and we will guide you.

The two "plates " on the forks where the bolt goes to hold the forks on would be the triple clamps. (Motorcycle term). The I.D. would be the inside diameter of the head tube. (The tube that the bolt goes through to hold on the forks)
So, the inside diameter of the head tube and the diameter of the holes in the triple clamps are the important factors here to determine how to to mount the forks. I don't know your level of tooling, but a dial caliper would come in handy here over a tape measure. Report back and we will guide you.
Great, thank you! Hopefully I took the correct photos down below, I took the measurements in mm:

I.D. of head tube:
D21A0139-8E73-489A-AF5A-BA84A3C8FC56.jpeg
O.D. of bolt hole:
DC17773D-647A-47CE-9F80-8E12226C4059.jpeg
I.D. of bolt hole:
152748D6-0822-4D32-A06E-AF747EA8AF8E.jpeg

chrisr

Learn something new everyday…I’ve been using my calipers wrong for 2 years now and nobody corrected me, so thank you! You were spot on as well, its 5/8 of an inch I.D. How do you suggest I go about mounting these forks up?
Tractor Supply has a nice selections of 5/8 bolts/nuts and 5/8 bearings that may fit in the top of your forks, you may want to give them a look.

In the past I have bought oil-impregnated bronze Round stock, and had bushings machined from that.
Only because I could not find the correct size bushings, my head tube was an oddball size.

mustangfrank

Learn something new everyday…I’ve been using my calipers wrong for 2 years now and nobody corrected me, so thank you! You were spot on as well, its 5/8 of an inch I.D. How do you suggest I go about mounting these forks up?
First time I used my plastic, rough duty/cheapo calipers I thought they were broken with the wire rod sticking out of the end...this wasn't my first time using calipers and I knew what a depth gauge was...brain fart.

Like previously mentioned it looks like you'll be using a 5/8" bolt with no bushings in the headtube. You could probably enlarge the holes in the forks to accept a bushing if you want, either way grease up the bolt to avoid premature wear.

20210624_184631.jpg

Awesome thanks for all the help everyone! I’ll make a trip to tractor supply and see what I can find there. I will update everyone on how it goes.