Glad to blow a hole in the case.

Now I can take her apart. My ride was going along with moderate rpm’s. Heard a clunk then rolled to a stop. I’m having fun dismantling my IC Briggs 5.

it was sold to me as an ex kart engine that had high performance after market stuff and burned alcohol before.

Does it really? This is what I’ve got so far. Working on the head now to recover piston.
what do you all see?

Attachments

Augiedoggie

Yup. She's broken. I suspect your seller told you a story about your motors racing heritage. Looks stock from here. Aftermarket rods I'm familiar with had bearing inserts and were billet. Your broken rod looks cast. Reckon it could have been raced but my guess is it wasn't built properly for racing. Any motor with governor removed will overspeed and create more stress on engine parts than it was designed for. Could be previous neglect or abuse caused damage.

None of my racing Briggs parts look anything like that! If the bore is still good, you could weld up that hole and put her back together- the right way this time.

Mr. Pink

Has anyone successfully repaired a small hole in a block?

I wonder if a nut and bolt, a couple of fender washers one inside and one outside and a glob of J-B Weld sandwiched between the washers would hold up?

Has anyone successfully repaired a small hole in a block?

I wonder if a nut and bolt, a couple of fender washers one inside and one outside and a glob of J-B Weld sandwiched between the washers would hold up?
JB quick epoxy has repaired many a block around here. I forgot what I used in the sixties and seventies, but it was in a single tube.
Liquid steel, maybe? Try to find the chunk that blew out of it and epoxy it back in.

Thepaetsguy

Still has the plastic dipper. You can see on this block directly beside the left rod bolt where someone jb welded the hole. Worked fine but over revving it made the hole re-appear FD682063-FC9D-41FD-834B-C4F2018B00E7.jpeg

Minimichael

The hole seems a smaller concern here though. I have not blown a rod (knock on wood), but if I do, the whole engine is getting torn down for inspection. If nothing else, to determine what parts can be salvaged from the wreck.

JB quick epoxy has repaired many a block around here. I forgot what I used in the sixties and seventies, but it was in a single tube.
Liquid steel, maybe? Try to find the chunk that blew out of it and epoxy it back in.
Glad that I can use JB exposure. The chunk that blew out is long gone somewhere on the road.
Just a clunk? And what's that yellow plastic thing? The rod cap?
I think the yellow plastic thing is th oil dipper.

The hole seems a smaller concern here though. I have not blown a rod (knock on wood), but if I do, the whole engine is getting torn down for inspection. If nothing else, to determine what parts can be salvaged from the wreck.
Besides the hole in case and broken crank I see a small crack where the crank attaches inside the piston. So I assume I need a piston and a crank

Yup. She's broken. I suspect your seller told you a story about your motors racing heritage. Looks stock from here. Aftermarket rods I'm familiar with had bearing inserts and were billet. Your broken rod looks cast. Reckon it could have been raced but my guess is it wasn't built properly for racing. Any motor with governor removed will overspeed and create more stress on engine parts than it was designed for. Could be previous neglect or abuse caused damage.
I got story didn’t I? It’s alright. Now I now. I had had a bunch of fun with it being all souped up and everything. Haha

Well, even without seeing the lobes on the cam, I'm seeing a pile of stock parts by the looks. Obvious cast rod that had a plastic dipper, so not even a raptor rod. I guess "performance" means they took the time to delete the governor? Oh well, at least the hole can be patched and so long as the bore is still in good condition an I/C block is better than a cool bore.

Does the wear on the crank where rod attaches look excessive? IMG_4009.jpeg IMG_4004.jpeg IMG_4004.jpeg
Besides the hole in case and broken crank I see a small crack where the crank attaches inside the piston. So I assume I need a piston and a crank
Well, even without seeing the lobes on the cam, I'm seeing a pile of stock parts by the looks. Obvious cast rod that had a plastic dipper, so not even a raptor rod. I guess "performance" means they took the time to delete the governor? Oh well, at least the hole can be patched and so long as the bore is still in good condition an I/C block is better than a cool bore.

Augiedoggie

Crank is junk. Markings on rod beam have Briggs marking. She's a stocker but she sure ain't a rocker. You can put an epoxy on engine and glue a metal patch over the new crankcase vent or make a bolted patch to cover the hole. I'd scrap it and keep it as a man cave decoration and build another motor. Not like it's a rare or special block either way. Why run the risk of crank centers or cam journal centerline knocked off axis by previous damage.