Something you don't see anymore

IMG_20230907_134307.jpg I got the wheel put back on the right way. I think the clutch idler was designed to stay engaged unless the operator squeezed the handle on the left handlebar. That will not work in this century. That flimsy center stand is not enough to make me feel safe while that tire is spinning. If it comes off that stand it is really hard to stop it.

IMG_20230907_122001.jpg This came from the scrap pile and ALMOST became a part of the power hoe. We also looked at hooking up a Surrey or small trailer behind it. There are two holes in the back of the frame. I think they only put them there to tease lazy old guys.

I am not a painter. I remind my wife all the time. I retired from fixing cars so I can pretend to be a farmer and enjoy my collection of obsolete farm junk. I am actually a very good woodworker, but not a carpenter. A have been welding for 50 years. I can do pretty welds, but not out in the wind with rusty old stuff and flux core wire. I have always used the same, rude two word challenge for anybody who doesn't like the looks of my welds.
That building where I am working on this thing is the only one with concrete floor, so it is where I weld. It is also the only one with heat, so it is where the pullets (baby hens) spent this past spring. They need to be kept at about 80 degrees until they get all their feathers. The pine shavings on the floor do present a fire hazard, but I never pull everything out of there and sweep that floor until they start laying about November. Then they go out to what we call the "chicken zoo".
Oh, the two words for critics of my welds?

Break one.

Well, it starts and runs. No noise, no leaks and no smoke. I don't think it likes the 2 stroke mix I put in the tank. It was dosed with the last of my Sea Foam and I wanted to be sure the 1998 emissions junk nonadjustable carburetor had every last chance at life before I condemn it.
That PTO on the gearbox is pretty funny spinning at 1/6 engine speed.

The tire is full of water. That is commonly done to increase weight and traction. I put air in it yesterday so it is easier to move it around. The valve stem leaks. IMG_20230913_123231.jpg

So I plan to keep adding air and walking away. I have the stem near the bottom so the air above the water will push the water out. I drilled the old corroded valve core out and installed a new core. That water is leaking out past the new core. I have a new tube for it. Now, I need to remove it again, bust the tire off the rim , dig the old tube out, clean the tire and the wheel, put it back together and air it up to seat the tire on the wheel. Then remove the valve core and fill it back up with water. I think I will put it back on the machine before I add the water.

Triley41395

So I plan to keep adding air and walking away. I have the stem near the bottom so the air above the water will push the water out. I drilled the old corroded valve core out and installed a new core. That water is leaking out past the new core. I have a new tube for it. Now, I need to remove it again, bust the tire off the rim , dig the old tube out, clean the tire and the wheel, put it back together and air it up to seat the tire on the wheel. Then remove the valve core and fill it back up with water. I think I will put it back on the machine before I add the water.
Are you planning on putting anything in the water to keep it from freezing. Most of the farm equipment here uses calcium. I know that you are in a warmer climate but honestly don't know what kind of temperatures you have during the winter months.

New tube is installed with air in it. I did some measuring and found out the wheel bolt flange is slightly offset so I put the tire facing the correct way, so that when it is mounted on the hub with the sprocket on the right side, the tire is centered in the machine. That made it a whole lot more fun push it around the yard. IMG_20230917_124619.jpg IMG_20230917_131859.jpg

I have a belt, chain, pulley and some new springs coming this week. it'll be interesting to try it out in one of the gardens. My son and I have been looking at putting the front (cast iron) axel off a garden tractor on this with a big old metal pan seat on a leaf spring. It would need to have a height adjustment for the blade. I am thinking about a big screw out of an old "C" clamp under the seat. The challenge will be making it so we can remove it when we want to.

After taking this thing for a walk around the yard, I have to say it is the most primitive beast I have ever piloted. I have worked on and even built some pretty silly stuff, but I think this one is WAY up on the list of hard working, zero creature features, dangerous things I have ever owned. After we followed it around the yard a few times, My son decided to give it a try. That ended with the machine on it's side and Will laughing at how unbelievable the thing is.
I rolled it up to a tree and squeezed the handle to engage the drive belt. The handles went down, the front end went about a foot up the tree and the tire started bouncing and digging a hole.
Water in the tire, new wheel bearings and we will practice with it in the field after frost this fall.

tomc

I've seen a few over the years. I've been "into" garden tractors for 50 years. I'm looking fro another one now to restore as a Carolina Plow, made here in North Carolina. I have several other brands of single wheel and two wheel walk behind tractors.

After taking this thing for a walk around the yard, I have to say it is the most primitive beast I have ever piloted. I have worked on and even built some pretty silly stuff, but I think this one is WAY up on the list of hard working, zero creature features, dangerous things I have ever owned. After we followed it around the yard a few times, My son decided to give it a try. That ended with the machine on it's side and Will laughing at how unbelievable the thing is.
I rolled it up to a tree and squeezed the handle to engage the drive belt. The handles went down, the front end went about a foot up the tree and the tire started bouncing and digging a hole.
Water in the tire, new wheel bearings and we will practice with it in the field after frost this fall.
Hey Sparkwizard I was just wondering if you use any antifreeze of any sort in the tires also. Up in the north east we used calcium and water to keep farm tractor tires and loader tires etc to keep them from freezing. Is that a concern for you ?

I use the pink antifreeze that is sold for winterizing campers and boats. It is safe in fresh water holding systems for drinking water. Propylene glycol in my tires make them freeze proof and if I have a blowout in the garden it won't poison the soil like ethylene glycol (green) antifreeze.

I've seen a few over the years. I've been "into" garden tractors for 50 years. I'm looking fro another one now to restore as a Carolina Plow, made here in North Carolina. I have several other brands of single wheel and two wheel walk behind tractors.
Have you got a picture of what you are looking for? I have seen a few here in Eastern North Carolina since I found this one.