The Ultimate More Than 2 Wheels Picture Thread!!

The Cushman rear differential is an excellent choice for a custom build...

They were made in a number of different overall widths...the same basic differential was used for several models of vehicles, and overall axle/axle housing tube length was changed to fit the chassis...

The axle tubes are steel, with very high-grade aluminum alloy gear housings (left half/right half) cast onto the tubing...

The raw (before machining) differential half was expensive for Cushman to manufacture, and only the best materials and casting equipment were used to make them, primarily to limit the number of pieces that were red-tagged for porosity or other defects as they progressed through the machining and sub-assembly lines...

The differentials that left the line are probably as good today as they were the day they were made...

The engines and transmissions are a completely different story...

Well, way off topic, but here's my custom non 2 wheel machine: Articulating hydraulic steering, 4 wheel drive, 4 cylinder Army surplus gas engine, Cub Cadet.

Jleon...You can find them here: http://saturnsurplus.com/ , look at 4A032, they are a little pricey there, but still a good deal for the quality you get. These engines cost us taxpayers around $2800.00 each, they were used on generators, water pumps, etc. You can also do a search on E-Bay for 4A032, there are a couple on there right now, thats where I picked up mine. I still have 2 new in the crate motors, and a couple good used ones. They are a sweet engine, super smooth, and way under-rated as far as horsepower, the Government rates them at 6 hp, if they were rated the same as a Briggs or Kohler, you are looking at 18-20 hp. they are 32 cubic inch. I'm currently transplanting one into a 782 Cub Cadet, will be nice puller when I'm done. Maybe I should build a mini-bike around one...

Coop