homemade kick starter

Dam boy i got to give credit you are always thinking . Heck who knows it might . But you have a lot to do on your mini with out worrying about a kick start .

David

Oh and your post count is climbing fast , need to start calling you little buckeye

902 posts... Mabye 10000000000 by the end of the week:shrug: and in gunna see if I can get a second recoil to make it on I'll need the hole shroud and recoil

I have several old vintage Briggs engines with kick starts, and lever starts. Some are on the pto side, and some are on the shroud side. I think it would be great if you could make one for the more modern Briggs flat heads, but I think it might be difficult to make one that works well, and is reliable, but what do I know. Go for it, and good luck!:thumbsup: Here are a few of my oldies.

Matt

There is a company called "Hegar 4 Products" in Portland Oregon that makes them. How ever they are expensive. I think about $400.00 to $600.00. Looks easy to make. You can check out some pictures I just posted

Well u know what the rope wraps around ? That little metal piece in the middle I thin I'm gong to weld a socket right to that so I can click my lever in and web it starts since it "wratchets" I can pull the wratchet off so the kick start lever doesn't get in the way

even though your wrench ratchets there's not really anything to push it back up. so unless your briggs starts first kick theres gonna be a lotta taking the wrench off and putting it back on.. also keep in mind your wrench will need to be facing the opposite direction.. (pointing toward the front wheel instead of the rear).. if you could make an assembly with a spring in there you could have a permanent set up but unless you find a way to reverse it your kickstarts gonna be in a funky position.

food for thought.

Your right, It does look like an old car window crank. I wish somebody would make them that doesn't want to retire on selling one of them I would buy two for my scooters. If they would set the price right they could sell a million of them. Most of the cost is the aluminum housing. But once they made that and set up a machine to mill them from a block of aluminum and pump them out there is no reason they should cost so much. I know I can make one. I will use an old B&S engine and not screw up my new one. I will post it when I get it made:thumbsup:.

I saw one home made job yesterday that looked really good. The biggest problem I see is the support bracket on the outside of the shaft. The one I saw had 3 metal straps going from the outter side of the shaft that would hold the kicking arm that went to the 3 shroud bolts that the recoil starter was originally bolted to. I will try and find the picture and post it here. It looked simple but looked really good. :shrug:

I think there might be a square piece welded on the end of the recoil starter and the square part on the kick starter is just made to fit it because it won't slip. Yeah I thought about the short kick radious too. You motor would have to be in good tune. That's why most of them have a halh moon shaped gear kicking a small gear on the recoil starter for more turns per kick. :shrug:

I think there might be a square piece welded on the end of the recoil starter and the square part on the kick starter is just made to fit it because it won't slip. Yeah I thought about the short kick radious too. You motor would have to be in good tune. That's why most of them have a halh moon shaped gear kicking a small gear on the recoil starter for more turns per kick. :shrug:
the square part is just held in there by a cover which is held in by a screen. it's a piece to the starter ratchet but isn't welded on. 5horse probably has the new style with a starter cup thats just bolted on.

I don't even know what mine has. Its about a mid 60s B&S. Think its about a 5 HP but they didn't go by HP back then. They went by torque. Its a 10 cu in maybe only a 3 or 4 hp I don't know. just got it.Model 100202, Type 0157 - 01, If anyone knows please tell me. I'll have to check out the recoil starter and see how its made.

I was bored so I started brainstorming.. maybe you could like weld a plate into the recoil after it's gutted, as long as it's one of the steal ones. and weld a nut or piece of solid rod rod to it for a place for a spring to sit, and on the wrench do the same or drill a hole and run a bolt through it with a nut thats close to the ID of the spring that way the spring has a place to sort of "sit".. and you can cut a notch out of the side of the recoil if there isn't enough room to move. you'd have to find a way to keep your secure but it might get you thinking.

here's a crappy drawing to explain. :doah::doah:

Its a start. I don't think its that hard to do. But I'm not sure how the ratchet would work. Would you leave it on or remove it after starting? Would the ratchet keep spining "Clicking" when the engine is running if left on? Not quite sure.:confused: