homemade kick starter

Oh yeah 1Tufdog is a good one hes got a nice springer mini bike that hes building. really BA. he seems to know what hes doin. Well hes good at figuring it out at least lol ahahaha

Well 5Horse Briggs you got me hooked on this thing. I have a friend that does a lot of work on small engines. He has a bunch that he is taking to the scrap so he is going to pull a couple B&S out that have horazontal shafts and recoil pull starters for me to play with. I ain't about to mess up one of my good engines. So I will try my best to make one that is easy, inexpensive, reliable, and looks good. When I get finished I will post the results. I will take photos along the way. I found a site that has a bunch of cheap motorcycle kick starter gears, ratcheting shafts, return springs, and kick levers. I "WILL" make one some how. Making it won't be the problem. The problem will be how to connect it to the engine, bike, and look good. Thanks 5Horse for getting me into another project, like I don't have enough to do. Oh well, now I am hooked. I'll let you know how it comes out. How you doing on your end? Have you started yet?
Keep on puttin' :scooter:

Here is a set of kick starter gears for under $10.00

Last edited:
Well, I am so close. I got the engine today and took the recoil starter apart. I now see exactly how I will do it. I even made the first part and one that I thought was going to be so hard. How to connect the kick starter to the engine. It was easy and so very simple. Don't want to tell to much yet. Next week I will get some of the parts needed and I will start to put it together. I do have it all worked out mentally and about 1/3 of it is done.
You will be surprized how easy and inexpensive it is. Tell you more next week.

sounds great trooper. i also have a kick starter for a small block briggs in the works. half done and i have a fine plan. just have to get my butt in gear and finish it up

What do you guys think a kick starter would be worth? I've got a few ideas how to do it, but I'm not even going to try unless there is some money to be made.

If I wanted a kick starter for myself then I would experiment, but I don't. I already spend/lose enough money on projects that I want to do.

Since I don't want one for myself, then yes, I need to make a buck to be motivated.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to think about it anymore or not.

That's cool Jeep. It will be fun to see just how close our ideas are to the same end. I am not doing this for money. I am retired and I like to chalange myself to keep the mind working. When I am done I will put it on here for people that want to use it, be my guest. I think that is what this fourm is all about. Sharing ideas, knowledge, making friends with comon interest, and having fun. I think mine can be made for under $50.00 Max. even less if you don't have to buy some of the parts. The only parts I will buy are 2 gears and 1 Kick Starter Arm and they will be used ($20.00 - $30.00). I am about 1/3 done and have nothing invested so far.
I'll keep you posted.

Hey 5 Horse, Where you ben? You started this mess. Get us all jacked up on buildin' one then you leave us. LOL
Glad to see your back on buildin one again. I'll keep in touch.
Keep on Puttin' :scooter:

WOW, Had one hell of a thunder storm. High winds, rain, thunder and lightning, came through in about 30 minutes and was gone. Power out for 2 hours due to downed trees on power lines. All is bright and sunny this morning so back to work on the kick starter.

The easiest way would be to put a sprocket on your briggs ratchet thing, with a chain wraped around it..

One end of the chain has a spring pulling the system back home, the other end is attactched to your kickstart lever..

I'd make a strong steel plate, that bolts down underneath the engine, which your kicker arm all works off from.. If you put that kind of a load on the thin steel shrouds, it twists them all to hell...

But a base with kicker arm, hooked to a chain, wrapped over a sprocket on your starter sprag, would work very well, and is an easy build...

Look up a kickstart Briggs and Stratton Model A :thumbsup:

im building mine completely built onto the shroud. ill reinforce it later if i have to but the parts im using pretty much has to be built that way. i was going to get some pics today but iv been so busy. its made of parts from a ride on tractor steering gears.

Here's mine

Here is mine. I plan to mount it VIA 2 pcs. of angle with holes that match front and back engine mounting bolts. The angle will come out below the spin starter.
I'll keep you informed.
Keep on Puttin' :scooter: