DB30 w/ 110cc Lifan and 4speed tranny

my friend finally got his doodlebug bug with a 110cc Lifan and 4 speed tranny running. i got to ride it today and i need one now, it hahahahaing hauls ass. he's still got a few minor things that need to be taken care of. it really needs a steering dampener because the front end gets a bit squirrely at probably 35+. there was a bunch of fabrication involved on this project.

it's a DB30 frame that's basically stock (he had to make new mounts), has a 110cc Lifan, CRF50 exhaust, 35t rear sprocket (could easily run a 30, 1st gear is almost useless) and a Buell Blast clutch perch/lever/cable that had to be shortened.

i'm impressed. :scooter:

he sent me some pics that show a bit more detail if anyone is interested.

btw, how much would you guys be willing to pay for something like this? he's thinking about possibly selling it or making some more.

You guys didn't use a hydraulic brake?? 35mph++ and you're gonna trust that little pos stock brake?? Heck no, not me!!!! Reason I say this is, my bro and I wiegh upwards of 350, and with a 7hp/TAV2/stock 60tooth sprocket, we couldn't stop the bike for poop. I put a hydraulic brake on our 7hp/comet clutched/60 tooth DB mini, and can stop on a dime. IMO, the only way to go, errrr stop!! :001_tongue:

Other than that, great job!!! Are you sure it needs a steering damper, rather than tires that can handle more speed???

You guys didn't use a hydraulic brake?? 35mph++ and you're gonna trust that little pos stock brake?? Heck no, not me!!!! Reason I say this is, my bro and I wiegh upwards of 350, and with a 7hp/TAV2/stock 60tooth sprocket, we couldn't stop the bike for poop. I put a hydraulic brake on our 7hp/comet clutched/60 tooth DB mini, and can stop on a dime. IMO, the only way to go, errrr stop!! :001_tongue:

Other than that, great job!!! Are you sure it needs a steering damper, rather than tires that can handle more speed???
the brake actually works pretty decently and it also helps that you can downshift. we talked about tires today and he's probably going to switch over to tubed ones instead. were we ride stopping quickly usually isn't something we have to worry about.

a dampener would be the easy way out because it would work. it'd be interesting to see if a different style tire (maybe a rounded slick) would help the wobble. he also mentioned trying to make an "adjustable" front end that uses bearings to help that issue.

anyways, it's not done yet. it's just to the point that it's rideable. there's more things that will come up once it has some riding time on it.

Last edited:
btw, how much would you guys be willing to pay for something like this? he's thinking about possibly selling it or making some more
Zero, I'd rather buy a used Honda 70 or cheapo clone dirt bike and have a suspension. The "thing" about mini's is pull start engines and simplicity. :eek:ut:

he actually hasn't done much else to it. he's changed the gearing on it and put the fenders back on (both lowered). it works well so he's just been riding it.

he is talking about cleaning up the frame/welds and getting it painted.

we haven't actually raced yet, but it looks like my DB with the modded 5.5 is going to be a bit quicker. we roughly know how fast he can hit in a stretch and mine is going faster. his should top out a few mph faster than mine though. i'm also probably 40lbs heavier than him so that's another thing to consider.

his also wants to wheelie when you nail it in first so it's a bit harder to launch. i have no problem keeping the front end down on mine.

i do want to race him to find out for sure. i think next time we're riding i'll try to talk him into it. i'd like to get my carb tuned properly though (and maybe pick up a fuel pump), it feels like it needs more fuel when it's wound out.

Oh ok then actually his 110 is quite a bit faster than a stock 6.5.You know since your 5.5 is modded.Is that correct? Thanks.

Tim
yeah, it should easily beat a stock 6.5. you can see all the mods that are currently on my 5.5 in my sig.

i think that 110cc is supposed to be rated at 7hp or 8hp stock and the gearing also gives it an advantage.

Last edited:
My New lifan ct70 replica had a 110cc lifan 4 speed. With a simple front and rear sprocket change the bike easily cruised at 55mph.

Even with the gear change 1st gear was almost non existant. A open cdi will get rid of the Rev limiter as well and you could pick up a bit more speed there also.