2 speed, how does it work?

I tried searching but couldnt really find anything on it.
I have a comet 2 speed jackshaft set up, what is needed to make this work?
Does it require a clutch with an extra gear on the motor?
thanks

capguncowboy

Yes, you'll need a clutch with 2 sets of teeth on it.

You'll have two chains from your clutch to your jackshaft. One chain will go around the 1-way sprocket, and the other will go to the 2-speed clutch. When the one-way sprocket reaches a certain speed, the centrifugal mechanism in the 2-speed will engage and overtake control of the jackshaft.

Here's the engine clutch you'll need. There are different companies that make this clutch, including Comet if you can find them

Max Torque Dual Sprocket Clutch 12T 35 2 Speed Mini Bike Go Kart Made in USA | eBay

They range from $50-80 in price

Last edited:
I guess I am thinking backwards but I was thinking the big one way gear would be a top speed but as it is supposed to work, the 13 tooth or whatever secondary clutch is a higher gear ratio compared to the 18-20 or whatever the one way gear is.
takes off with the one way larger gear and then as rpm's increase it slings the jackshaft clutch/smaller gear into play which spins the jackshaft fast enough to make the one way gear freewheel. correct?
edit, after looking at the clutch picture, both gears are locked together and engage with the clutch, still confused as how the jackshaft works then.

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

I guess I am thinking backwards but I was thinking the big one way gear would be a top speed but as it is supposed to work, the 13 tooth or whatever secondary clutch is a higher gear ratio compared to the 18-20 or whatever the one way gear is.
takes off with the one way larger gear and then as rpm's increase it slings the jackshaft clutch/smaller gear into play which spins the jackshaft fast enough to make the one way gear freewheel. correct?
edit, after looking at the clutch picture, both gears are locked together and engage with the clutch, still confused as how the jackshaft works then.
The big gear is your low gear ratio for take off, when the jackshaft clutch spins fast enough to engage the clutch bell (same as on the engine) the bell will turn and then Yes kick out the big gear into free wheel mode.. If you can find the right springs for the jackshaft clutch you could change the rpm that it shifts into high gear... If memory serves me right it's a 2:1 ratio with the free wheel gear being double the teeth as the js clutch.. 24/12 so if you have a 72 tooth rear wheel sprocket 1st gear would be 12:1 and second gear would be 6:1....

V-Plex also made a 2-speed clutch that just used standard jackshaft gears. It was cool because you could shift it manually with a cable.

Member Richtrix built a bike with one....and HavasuDave has been threatening to :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^^ shizzamn! thats awesome, how rare are those? I have never seen one.

I already ordered the twin gear clutch so I can get my 2 speed installed. thanks for the link guys

Last edited:
There was one on Ebay recently but the guy wanted a billion dollars for it. HavasuDave stole his.:anon.sml:
On the bright side, I have built it in my head several times over the past two years. :laugh: I think it's going to go on a Rogue 400 MkIV with that 10HP flathead I got off of Randi a few years back.

Ha! This was just a matter of realizing they weren't on our site. I apologize to everyone. I'm trying to keep up!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]