Recent content by Rapini

1. R

when to draw the line ??

History: Barn find early 70's Arctic Cat Whisker with Sach's engine. Was able to clean her up enough and did 2 laps with it then it stopped running. Pulled engine off minibike opened her up on my workbench cylinder head damage cracked ring. Was able to source new cylinder head with rings but now...
  2. R

Sachs / Saxonette (Arctic Cat Whisker - Rebuild) won't start- Please Help !

Sachs / Saxonette (Arctic Cat Whisker - Rebuild) won't start- Please Help ! Ok had the Arctic Cat Whisker running 'till the pull start went then it was buried in the back of my shed... Now she's back on my workbench as my son (now 9) asked if it'll run ? Here's what I've done so far : 1...
  3. R

Oops ! I realized I posted in the wrong section ... I will post this under engines & hopefully (fingers crossed) you'll see a completed project on this site. Cheers !
  4. R

CAT Slingshot... slow progress log.

...Looking Good ! - how did you select the clutch for your build ? What do you need to take into account for selecting one ? (If I can't get my engine running I'll be swapping it out with a snowblower engine too).
  5. R

Ok had the Arctic Cat Whisker running 'till the pull start went then it was buried in the back of my shed... Now she's back on my workbench as my son (now 9) asked if it'll run ? Here's what I've done so far : 1. removed all old gas from tank 2. removed & cleaned carb (Bing 1/12/1670)...
  6. R

'72 Arctic Cat Whisker - head gasket question ?

Where exactly is the head gasket located ? Is it at the top most section of the engine ( 4 bolts hold it down ) or is it lower where it tapers into the carb area ? I don't recal seeing a gasket when I removed the top most portion to inspect the cylinder head ... this may be my low compression...
  7. R

How to get back compression ?

any Idea where I can source rings for the Saxonette 2 stroke engine ? Cost ? Please advise, R.
  8. R

How to get back compression ?

O.k. now that I've identified that there's a compression problem (too low) what are my next steps ? How do I correct a low compression problem ? is this something that a joe hack like myself can do or do I need to send it out ? cost ? and any other opinions that you can share ... I'm all ears...
  9. R

Low compression -> Need Reed Valve ?

Still suffering from no top end power even after the carb rebuild (making gaskets was a challenge). picked up a compression tester and registered some dismal numbers (less than 100). Next step the reed valve unless someone else has a better idea. If you know where I can find one please let me...
  10. R

Spark Plug Gap Setting

I just rebuilt the carb on my '72 Arctic Cat Whisker and still experiencing loss of power at the top end. Does anyone know what the gap should be set at on the spark plug? Please advise,
  11. R

'72 Whisker Top End Trouble

Yes - it kinda revs up for a split second or two ... and that just starts to thrust you forward on the bike and make me think hold on tight here we go but instead it just drops back and putts along in first. Indeed it does feel like its not getting enough gas... as for oil I'm using a two-stroke...
  12. R

'72 Whisker Top End Trouble

My Arctic Cat Whisker is running a little rough ... it pulsates ( with the throttle fully opened ) it revs up but won't sustain or go into second gear. It just starts to rev up to higher rpms for only half a second and then it returns to cruising along in 1st. I'm thinking it could be a top end...
  13. R

My first build - '72 Arctic Whisker - brakes

72 Whisker - day 2 I'm building the bike as a rider ... for now. I believe the brake is an internal expanding drum type not the band type or disc. Thanks for the quick responses ! The little cable that attaches to the spark plug is in need of replacing and the rims have a chunk missing from...
  14. R

My first build - '72 Arctic Whisker - brakes

O.k. let's face it without this website I wouldn't be embarking on such a task. So kudos to everyone for giving me the opportunity to give it a go ! I noticed I'm missing a "kill switch" for the bike and 1(one) brake pad (looks like the Bendix type) -what type of switch can I use for a...
  15. 1972 Arctic Whisker Farm Fresh Mother's Day

1972 Arctic Whisker Farm Fresh Mother's Day