Recent content by todd P

1. T

Powell Challenger Tire Question --2 or 4 ply Carlisle?

Michael, Red was the original color. I just stripped it and primed and painted using rattle can with a good 2 part clear over it. I regret not going the powder-coat rout. If you can, go for powder coating. Stripped it all down, straightened frame with bottle-jack. Welded the cracked down...
  2. T

Trying to attache a couple photos of the (almost) finished product---as you know you are never REALLY done.
  3. T

powell rear spring

I called Century the other day and they are out of stock on that spring with a 6-10week lead time. They suggested that I call OSH and ACE to see if they had inventory as Century distributes some springs thru that channel. Sounds like the Century route may take a while....bummer.
  4. T

Powell Challenger Front (small) Sprocket Rebuild?

I wonder if maybe a larger 12-13 tooth sprocket would give you enough room for a good weld?
  5. T

powell rear spring

Dave, with the Century spring 4115, are you also running the inner spring? If so, does it have a Century part number?
  6. T

Yep, mine looks just like the picture. Sprocket teeth are worn maybe a little less, but have some good miles on them. I was just thinking while I had the whole thing apart, it may head off a dive line disaster that may put me SOL. Live in San Jose, ca.
  7. T

The front (small) sprocket on my Challenger is worn with "shark fin" teeth. I can't seem to find any posts that detail a rebuild or fix for this. Anyone tackled this project who is willing to share their experience? Thanks in advance. Todd
  8. T

The Powell Scrapbook

Powell 3755-D
  9. Powell Challenger 3755-D

Powell Challenger 3755-D

Pre-restoration Powell Challenger
  10. T

5HP Flat Head Piston Ring End Gap?

Kool-Bore aluminum bore. What is the ring end gap range? Thanks.
  11. T

Serial Number is 3755-D from what I can make out. Original engine, exhaust, clutch is long gone, sadly---but who would have known? We did replace the original Briggs with another 5 HP Briggs that is down to the bare block in my garage. I ordered another OEM tank, as the one that I had was...
  12. T

I guess I caught the Powell Bug I was cleaning my father's garage and I uncovered my old Powell mini bike. My dad purchased it for himself somewhere around 1970 from the Powell factory in Southern California. We used to ride it in the Pomona hills (before it had any houses). It has stayed in...
  13. T

Powell Fork Bearing Size? HELP!

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the two roller bearings that support the steering stem????? Mine are mangled beyond repair and I can't seem to come up with anything on Ebay that matches my measurements. Thanks.
  14. T

I see Carlisle has a 2 and 4 ply tire that should fit this machine. Does anyone have experience with the 4 ply? Original worn out Generals seem to be a really stiff sidewall, and I was thinking the 4 ply would be a better choice for stability and flat prevention. What are your thoughts? Thanks.