The reason you pay so much at the Post Office

toomanytoys

I know for a fact that when Amazon gets too busy, they have the post office delivery their packages. (Especially around the holidays). How much do you think they are paying the post office for that service? .50 cents a box?. That's why the post office has to keep raising their rates so the regular people pay for that. Amazon has killed small business.
Or is because the mail system is a dinosaur? My parents still mail in all their bills. Once that generation of mail users is gone how many people are going to be using it?

All my bill statements are emailed. I check my mail box once a week. It's all junk and it goes directly in the trash. If it wasn't for sales flyers and other junk I wouldn't get mail.

NorCal

Or is because the mail system is a dinosaur? My parents still mail in all their bills. Once that generation of mail users is gone how many people are going to be using it?

All my bill statements are emailed. I check my mail box once a week. It's all junk and it goes directly in the trash. If it wasn't for sales flyers and other junk I wouldn't get mail.
My buddy was telling me today it was just announced that USPS would be downsizing thier Mgmt workforce, who are not part of their labor union. So I guess the managers are being told if they cannot find gainful employment within the ranks by a certain date, they're out of there. My buddy ( also a Union Stewart) said he thought the dynamic was funny. His union spends all their energy bucking mgmt and making simple tasks more complicated. Then things get so complicated, they cannot function properly, and are forced into a reduction in the workforce.

He said the two parties are so far apart, their at complete opposite of the spectrum. They are so busy fighting each other they loose sight of the big picture; which is to deliver the mail and provide a service. But (according to him) they spend so much time and effort moving bad managers around instead of firing them; so finding worthwhile supervisors within the USPS are few and far between. I'm sure there is an equally daming story if you interviewed someone from mgmt. But I will say within government, they do tend to move bad eggs around rather than doing the leg work to build a case and terminate an under-performing employee and/or supervisor.

I've worked with some real rockstars in government service, but I've also worked with so many turds who just do the minimum just to draw a check.

toomanytoys

My buddy was telling me today it was just announced that USPS would be downsizing thier Mgmt workforce, who are not part of their labor union. So I guess the managers are being told if they cannot find gainful employment within the ranks by a certain date, they're out of there. My buddy ( also a Union Stewart) said he thought the dynamic was funny. His union spends all their energy bucking mgmt and making simple tasks more complicated. Then things get so complicated, they cannot function properly, and are forced into a reduction in the workforce.

He said the two parties are so far apart, their at complete opposite of the spectrum. They are so busy fighting each other they loose sight of the big picture; which is to deliver the mail and provide a service. But (according to him) they spend so much time and effort moving bad managers around instead of firing them; so finding worthwhile supervisors within the USPS are few and far between. I'm sure there is an equally daming story if you interviewed someone from mgmt. But I will say within government, they do tend to move bad eggs around rather than doing the leg work to build a case and terminate an under-performing employee and/or supervisor.

I've worked with some real rockstars in government service, but I've also worked with so many turds who just do the minimum just to draw a check.
Sounds like a typical union represented work place.

I've been on the company side of a union work force for the last 20 years. It's a constant battle one way or the other.

@NorCal . Your buddy is right. My 25 years at the post office I seen it all. Too many cheifs and not enough Indians. We had the lazyest group of supervisors. They keep cutting the work force and as people retire they are not replacing them with career employees.
A few years ago a letter could make it from one end of the USA to the other in 2 days. Same with a priority package. Use to be 2 or 3 days. Who knows when your getting your mail or packages now. And the tracking got worse. Every time I track something it says "on the way to the next destination". No shit. I don't seem to get the travel route of the package anymore.

Fourtogo

We have a third world postal service now.
DHL I mailed two sheets of paper and a CD the normal charge is $82 . USPS was going get there even it gets there . Be every careful what you wish for . If you think DHL UPS FEDEX are going give cheap service , your going really disappointed down the road .

ugmold

Funny nobody mentions Louis Dejoy, Trump's Crony. His mission seems to be to cripple service in order to justify Privatization. "Dejoy-ie, you're doing a heckuva job"

NorCal

@NorCal . Your buddy is right. My 25 years at the post office I seen it all. Too many cheifs and not enough Indians.
My buddy has been with them for around 15 years? Started in 2007'ish. His first office was small, so it was more of tight group who got along. Few years ago he moved out of state and landed at a much larger office. He said it was really night and day. His new office is huge, and I guess is well known for mgmt issues. They often get their mgmt pool from supervisors they cannot fire from surrounding offices, so they all land there. Some managers have to communte 3-4 hours (one way) just to get there. So its a revolving door of bad mgmt as none of them stay long before they find digs closer to their homes.

He was telling me a few months ago a pallet of packages had been sitting in at the main office for 2 months. . . . I repeat . . . 2 months without being delivered. His office got so many complaints, head honcho's (from somewhere?) decided to pay his office a visit to determine what was happening. He said his mgmt tried to hide the pallet (instead of working to get the packages delivered). He said he had never seen or heard of such a thing, as nothing even close to that blatant would have ever occurred at his old office. My buddy is really taken back by the entire situation, but he's also a union stewert, so he's seen or heard it all; especially at the office he is now.

I've been on both sides, union and mgmt. So I'm a firm believer that there are always two sides to every story. So I'm just hearing one side but my buddy is pretty grounded, so I tend to trust his judgment and/or observations. However, he has never been in mgmt, so he doesn't have first hand experience on what is delt with on that side of the house and inherant challenges that can follow. :oops:

Last edited: