2 piece lil indian frame

trying to take fork off on a 2-piece lil indian frame however it appears the bolt is epoxied or liquid weld in place. tried a breaker bar w no luck. wd-40 did not work. any suggestions? thx

thx, finally got the bolt spinning freely (wd40) but it won't come out. when i separate the frame about 1/8 of an inch (all still attached) i can see something spin between the 2-piece frame when i turn the bolt. if that is a regular bolt i would just cut it, but i think its specially made for the bike. is there a sleeve in there? is it always this tough? is this the norm for a lil indian (my first lil indian)? i have done plenty of frame strips and never came across anything like this. i appreciate any suggestions / advice. thanks again

Minimichael

Is it the inner race of the neck bearing you're seeing? Sounds like your setup was really frozen up inside.

My own next steps might include some tapping, banging, and a bottle jack...in that order.

Do you have the nut off of the bolt? Might try hitting it from the threaded end. And count on replacing the bearings once you got it all separated and clean.

How about a pic of the current mess?

Last edited:
thx, if it is the race i am assuming the bolt is stuck to it ---as i spin the bolt, the race is spinning also. i put a nut on the bolt and hit it---did not go anywhere. this is really a mystery. i don't know what to expect when it comes out. is that a special bolt?

no , there is no spring. i put the nut on the bolt, screwed it down, and hit it enough to damage the threads permanently. unfortunately, the only other alternative now is to cut the bolt in between the 2-piece frame or cut the head off. is this going to be 1 of those hard to find (or make) bolts? any concerns i should have ? thx again!

Minimichael

In my highly uninformed opinion, I'd say cut the ends off the bolt to have the fork out of the way, then soak, heat it and beat it to clear the neck tube and start over.

Puzzling im sure and trying not to destroy period correct hardware i get that also. Any chance the neck bolt has a groove ring worn around it on one end or the other or both ends trapping the sheetmetal of the fork assembly in that worn groove? Or wear thats caused a ring ridge around the bolt not allowing it to move through the tube? Just something you might try look at. Sorry if im not explaining it too clearly.

Puzzling im sure and trying not to destroy period correct hardware i get that also. Any chance the neck bolt has a groove ring worn around it on one end or the other or both ends trapping the sheetmetal of the fork assembly in that worn groove? Or wear thats caused a ring ridge around the bolt not allowing it to move through the tube? Just something you might try look at. Sorry if im not explaining it too clearly.
i thought the same, an e-clip or something similar. very perplexing. i did get it to spin in the shaft, if there is a groove worn or something else that cannot be seen i have no alternative but to cut. really don't want to. and pls don't apologize u explained it fine and i appreciate it.

In my highly uninformed opinion, I'd say cut the ends off the bolt to have the fork out of the way, then soak, heat it and beat it to clear the neck tube and start over.
are u familiar with this bolt? I hope it easily replaceable or made. I agree with you, I think cutting is the only other option. thx

Is the thing inside the frame bronze or plastic? If you have messed up the threads, the bolt will need to be replaced anyway. Not familiar with this bike, but I think most of those bolts were just long 5/8 bolts.