Removing engine water slide decal?

copyman

Is there a way to remove the flag decal on Tecumseh engine without damaging paint? The engine was recently rebuilt & painted. It got some scratches when shipped to customer so had them ship back for me to repaint (see pics). Was going to try and remove flag decal, repaint top half & put new decal on because the rest of shroud is fine. If stripping is only way decal will come off then I'll strip whole thing, prime and repaint.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Attachments

I think I would try misting it with water and then use a wet cloth to see if it softens up. The adhesive is water soluble so if you’re patient it should loosen up.

You have to soak it (hot water) until it almost floats off (if your lucky). If you trying to reuse it you will have to find something that it won,t adhere to like wax paper or the like. Its still sketchy if it will be reuseable.

copyman

You have to soak it (hot water) until it almost floats off (if your lucky). If you trying to reuse it you will have to find something that it won,t adhere to like wax paper or the like. Its still sketchy if it will be reuseable.
Hot water will be first thing I try. Not going to reuse the decal. Thanks

copyman

If you purchased the decals from OldMiniBikes member "Minibikepaul" I would suggest contacting him for some advice.
Michael
Yes I buy all my decals from Paul. I did call him before posting my OP and he said good luck getting it off. He didn't think it would be easy and thought I would have to strip paint to get decal off.
I will try the suggestions and report back.
Thanks for the replies!

copyman

Wanted to add something that happen after my last post. Think you might find this funny as I did, after spending a lot of time removing the flag decal as my last post stated the housing was now ready to paint. Before painting I was going to use blue painters tape to mask the maintenance decal on serial # plate. The tape slightly touched the decal and took it clean off! Ha-ha now thinking tape could of taken the flag decal off just as easy. Again they are water slide decals from Paul and were on for around 2 months. Makes me think if they are that easy to come off maybe clear coat after paint? I just hate the look of clear coat.