Search results

1. The New Guy

Built on Modified 1960's Powell 3630-D Frame, Ugly but Functional

Hey guys, I really appreciate the interest both here and over PM's, the bike did sell this morning. Nice guy drove 2.5 hours and paid me a bit more than asking. Thanks! And thanks for letting be a part of the community, I'm looking forward to coming back with another project before too long, as...
  2. The New Guy

Thanks Toomanytoys! Normally I'd totally agree - but in return I got her to get rid of all of these awful little smelly plug-in things she has in her house, so I feel somewhat vindicated.
  3. The New Guy

Will do David. Funny story about the bailing wire, it was meant to be temporary in order to hold the engine in place so I could weld a mount onto it. However, the idea of further modifying the original frame made me hesitant, so I was looking for a way to hold it securely without a weld - I...
  4. The New Guy

I am selling my favorite project mini-bike. My girlfriend and I are getting a place together and, well, you know how that goes. The bike has been an awesome project for me over the past year (check out the entire project log here...
  5. The New Guy

Gonna Be Ugly - Powell Model D First Build

Back In Action Whew, been out of commission for a while, good to be back. Last week David Powell was incredibly helpful in making suggestions - thanks David! :bowdown: He strongly suggested keeping the bike as original as possible and gave great ideas on how to do it. In order to make the...
  6. The New Guy

Well, looks like I'll be making and mounting a jackshaft. I looked at this thing for half the day today, and I just can't see any other way. The aluminum TAV2 mounting plate is great, but it's just not going to work. I removed the vertical steel bar to make sure my guess what right, and it...
  7. The New Guy

Custom Micro Bike

Sweet! Like another member said, the knees-over-bars look isn't my favorite, but you really pulled it off here! Awesome.:thumbsup:
  8. The New Guy

Haha! Thanks CarPlay. Regarding the TAV2, I included a couple pictures above that simply show that keeping the pulleys mounted to the plate would prevent them from ever fitting; way too close together. I am leaning towards ditching the plate and buying a longer belt, I just need to figure out of...
  9. The New Guy

Suspension for an old Powell Model D!

Nice! Well there you go, hope that helps.
  10. The New Guy

Thanks Stan! Will do.
  11. The New Guy

UPDATE: The new spring worked really well! I'm very happy with it. Just prepare for the .75" inner diameter. The tension was perfect for the ~250lbs of me and the bike combined. Even if I weighed 50 pounds more, I would feel good about this spring. If I weighed more than 250lbs myself alone...
  12. The New Guy

Captain's Log, Entry 6 Busy week! All of my parts arrived, and my welder is back up and running. The exhaust alteration is all done, and several other challenges were tackled. The first of which was the seat. It was the easiest to knock out, and starting with a small victory seemed good...
  13. The New Guy

I appreciate everyone's input. George did in fact tell me privately that the model does use two springs, but after extensive looking around, I couldn't find a feasible way to keep the original large-small spring setup without sacrificing spring stiffness and making further changes to the swing...
  14. The New Guy

Rear spring challenge Well, buying the 200lb-ish spring was a huge oversight on my part, not sure what I was thinking. A 200lb spring, yet the bike and I weigh a combined 250, at least. Ah well, I did say dumb mistakes would be made :doah: I just bought a 465+ pound spring for my next...
  15. The New Guy

I agree that buying the 200lb spring was a huge oversight on my part, not sure what I was thinking. Ah well, I did say dumb mistakes would be made :doah: I went with a 465+ pound spring for my next attempt, I feel pretty good about it. I spent every minute of my free time today trawling the...
  16. The New Guy

Haha, thanks CarPlay! But what ratio are you talking about?
  17. The New Guy

The spring I bought for the rear suspension is way too soft at 200lbs, and I wonder if 350 pounds would be strong enough!? :confused: My fear is that if I got a 700lb spring, it would be too stiff/strong. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Complete bike with me on it will probably be...
  18. The New Guy

Well, maybe I got lucky, but it worked out pretty damn well! I used a mix of the different suggestions I got. I did end up heating up the pipe near the flange and lowering it - took a lot of heat, but it worked perfectly! It worked so well, in fact, that now I don't need to even tilt the engine...
  19. The New Guy

I have a rough idea of what I'm going to try and do. These are my two trouble spots: And I think this idea should solve the issue.
  20. The New Guy

Right on, thanks Harleys!