Search results

1. 72shriek

Rupp rear drum brake for 1967 Continental

I have a 1967 Rupp Continental, but the rear brake assembly is totally missing. I have the drum/sprocket part on the correct wheel, but no mechanism or actuator or shoes or anything. What do I need and are there any sources that will work so I can get it back to a drum brake system (running a...
  2. 72shriek

Isn't this a Rupp TT or Continental?

Just picked this up this evening. I know it's wrong seat, wrong shocks, wrong engine, wrong after-the-fact footpeg bar, band brake instead of rear drum, no chainguard, lots of other things (not original paint), but I think wheels original, frame overall really nice, and those Carlisle tires...
  3. 72shriek

Speedway bearing snap ring

So I was talking yesterday with someone who worked on the Speedway jackshaft and they told me that on the inside of the motor mount, accessible by looking at the bike from the underside, there is a snap ring on the bearing and that once the snap ring is out you can slide out the bearing and work...
  4. 72shriek

H30 side exhaust pipe ideas

I picked up a Tecumseh H30 side exhaust (1998 model) and would love to find a way to put a pipe on it. Does anyone make a side pipe like this or is there some thoughts on how it can be done? I can't seem to find anything. I'd love to use this engine. Thanks, Mike
  5. 72shriek

Another Ruttman Small frame question - engine fit

Hi all - I've got like 13" from engine plate to bottom of top tubes for an engine. The Predator 212 says it's total height is 13.6'. I'm looking at the non-hemi. Does that height include the gas cap? if so, will the cap fit in between the top tubes and this this not be an issue, or do I need...
  6. 72shriek

removing ruttman fork

Is there a certain trick to getting the bolt off a Ruttman small frame? First, what is the standard bolt head size - I had a one inch on it that kinds fits but not exactly. Is it a 7/8? Also, is it a reverse thread or it it lefty loosen? There is no nut on the bottom, just the threads from...
  7. 72shriek

2 stroke 3 HP Tec for a mini bike

Any thoughts on using two strokes on mini bike projects - I know they use them a lot for karting. Any issue other than mixing gas and oil? Do they rev too high or do you need a special clutch - forgive my ignorance, I'm new to the tech side of these things.
  8. 72shriek

Ruttman throttle length

Will a 4 3/4" inch long ATV grip be to long for say a Ruttman throttle/grip set? What is the usual length of the dummy grip for a Ruttman?
  9. 72shriek

Paint or Powder Coat

Restoring an old Ruttman mini bike frame and hoping to make it really nice, show quality. Professional paint or powder coat - which is best? What are pros and cons of each? In my area, powder coat is cheaper than a good pro paint job.
  10. 72shriek

Got a Ruttman frame!

Just picked up a nice Ruttman frame, looks like a Toad but not sure. I need to search my mini bike guides. It's a four inch wheel model for sure. The frame is rough in temrs of paint and surface rust, but after getting it media blasted I think I'll do the paint myself. I want paint, not...
  11. 72shriek

Speedway Tanks

I have two Speedway tanks. The red one came off my 1971 Shrike. The Orange one came off what I thought was also a 1971, but now I'm not sure. Note that while both tanks join either side of the frame with nuts and bolts, the red one joins my 1971 with a single tab at the back, which bolts into...
  12. 72shriek

Mini Bike Guide Editor Patrick Mackie

I'm actually a historian by day and am doing an scholarly article on Mini Bike Guide (yes, it is a legit object of study). Does anyone how to contact Patrick Mackie, who was the magazine's editor? The Guide was one of the best parts of my childhood - as I'm sure it was one of the best parts of...
  13. 72shriek

Tecumseh Slant Intake question

I have a Tecumseh Part number 33300 (Source 143) Slant Intake that I have assumed fits the H30 3 hp Tec engine. Can anyone confirm that?
  14. 72shriek

Torque Converter Help

Hi all - I put up a video of my torque converter for my Speedway Shrike - can you take a look at comment here or on YT to tell me if it looks like everything is complete with the tc and any other insights you have on it. I know the belt has a rip in it and I hear you can't get these belts. The...
  15. 72shriek

Mini Bike Repair in Michigan

I really want to get my Speedway Shrike running again and am hoping somebody here can steer me to a good repair person in the mid michigan area, preferably near Flint, MI. Thanks
  16. 72shriek

Speedway torque converters

I was at the old school mini bike show in Royal Oak, MI this past spring and someone told me the name of the company that made the torque converters for Speedway models like the Shrike and Scorpion. I know it was not Comet but does anyone know the other company? I think it started with an "E"...
  17. 72shriek

Mid Michigan Members

As I get ready to bring back my 1971 Speedway Shrike, I'm wondering if there are any mid-Michigan area members who might be available to help me out with technical issues. It's a complete bike, just need guidance. 3.5 Tecumseh H35 engine with diaphragm carb but also have slant intake for...
  18. 72shriek

Speedway Torque Converter

Anyone have a schematic or rough drawing or a paragraph or two of how the Speedway torque converter works? I think I have a complete one but am rather ignorant of its workings. Also,w as there a somewhat better one used on their upper level models - I bought another one and the parts seem a...
  19. 72shriek

Mini Bike paint

Any thoughts on paint to use for mini bikes - more specifically, I'm trying to find something that matches the early 70s era Speedway green or Speedway blue (haven't decided which color I'll go with, but it's down to those two). It can be suggestion for rattle can or more pro paints, as I'm not...
  20. 72shriek

Speedway gas caps

I have a 71 Speedway mini bike tank from a Shrike/Shark/Scorpion style bike with a regular chrome metal gas cap and I have another that has a metal cap with plastic around the edge with what looks to be a long stick-like gas gauge that's on the underside of the cap and drops into the tank (a gas...