1/25 scale slot car racing

just a good deal if your into slot car racing or trying to relive your childhood like i'm doing. if you have a Ollie's store ( kinda like Big Lot store ) they had these today for $15. said regular price was $49.99 well maybe but the $15. was a cool deal and i picked up the 66 Oldsmobile 442 to play with. they also had a 62 Pontiac, 62 Galaxie i think and a newer model Camaro. back when i was a kid we had a hobby shop up at the corner where they had a HO scale and than a 1/25 scale track where we spent our allowances every weekend. they have one i town now and i need to check it out but i know it won't be a quarter or even a dollar to race , probably more like $10. amt slot starts.jpg amt slot starts1.jpg

I didn't even know AMT was still in business.

AMT was the only mfg I know who made 1/25 slots...most all were 1/24 but AMT was already in the business of making 1/25 scale promo cars for car dealerships to give away so they weren't about to re-tool for the minor difference. Their cars because they were real car replicas were super detailed and accurate. They even developed their own slot racing system called AMT Turnpike that allowed two independently controlled cars to run in the same lane. The cars also had electric Ackerman steering and you could steer to switch lanes, spin out, back up in reverse, etc. The cars were clipped to a little pick-up carriage that was trapped in the slot so the cars could not de-slot. They also designed the chassis so you could take a standard promo car and screw it to the slot car chassis. It was a brilliant piece of engineering and was way ahead of it's time but came in a huge box took up a ton of space...each section of track was like 12" wide x 18" long and too tedious for the average kid or even adult to assemble and maintain. It was discontinued after just a few years but has found new popularity and is considered very collectible today.

Last edited: