1970 Rupp Roadster Rebuild

It runs! I took it for a ride for the first time today. Ironically, I picked it up out of a field on a rainy day in the beginning of March in 09' and took it for its first ride in the rain 2 years later. I'm suprised with how much low end it has. I didn't think it would actually pull wheelies and do burnouts but it does them like a champ :scooter: I still need to tune it in further, it has a bad bog off of idle but it runs good on the top end. Here it is running with the headlight on:

as for some recent work I did...I needed to make footpegs so I cut up an old set of bent handlebars from my 4-wheeler:

Next step is to dial it in to get it running perfect, put an air filter on it, paint the sidecover, and maybe buy some stickers for it. But its nice that its a runner. Sounds real good too, can't wait to take it off some sweet jumps :thumbsup:

Good job brother. I've been following from day one. This thread keeps me going with mine. Pretty much all I have left, is to rebuild the hs40, and I'm not looking foward to that.

Thanks everyone for the comments, all the work really paid off in the end. The brakes aren't the best but I did reuse all the original stuff. The brakes were frozen solid so they may just need to wear in. Also the clutch belt puts off a lot of rubber dust. I hoping that will eventually go away cause its making my motor all dirty. But this thing is a blast to ride

At times I was thinking of buying a clone motor, dropping it in and calling it a day but I'm glad I didn't. The only pain in the ass part about rebuilding the motor was finding the right parts for it. That's what held up my build so much. I also think the bike looks better with the original motor and having the lighting coil was a huge plus. I'm going to take it through the woods one night, see how bright the light is :scooter:

I recently picked up a roadster 2. other than missing the engine, pretty much everything was there. I polished the brake levers and adjusted them. Then I slapped a clone on there just to mock it up. Well that quickly turned into bolting it down and test riding it. These bikes are so much fun. I think I need another one. lol. I want one to beat the hell out of and race. and another one to fully restore. Hopefully do as much justice as you have done with this one. That thing looks great. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks great but I liked the old "Ray's Bike and Mower Shop" decal.......

I got it from a used mower shop down the street from me and when I brought the motor in (to make sure I got a sidecover that fits) he looked at it and got all nostalgic when I told him what it was for. He said they used to sell Rupp's back in the day and sidecover I got is probably from around the same time. That address was from their old shop that they moved out of 30 some years ago. Now I feel bad for sandblasting it off :doah:

There's probably a good chance that someone purchased this Rupp from his shop back in the day.

I got it from a used mower shop down the street from me and when I brought the motor in (to make sure I got a sidecover that fits) he looked at it and got all nostalgic when I told him what it was for. He said they used to sell Rupp's back in the day and sidecover I got is probably from around the same time. That address was from their old shop that they moved out of 30 some years ago. Now I feel bad for sandblasting it off :doah:There's probably a good chance that someone purchased this Rupp from his shop back in the day.
Most people would have done what you did on a full resto like that so don't feel bad....you could have masked it off and painted the black around it though like you did with the seat pan decal....:rolleyes:

Beautiful bike!!