1971 Hilltopper

First off. Hello everybody. :smile:
I've already got a few mini bikes and thinking about adding
this one to the fleet. I know the seller quite well, he's my
neighbour and my old boss) and was just wondering what I
should really pay him for it. It runs, needs a bit of carb work,
but we've ridden it around last summer, and it's licensed for
the street. The electrical works but needs some attention too.
Sorry I don't have any better pics right now.
street legal minibike 1971

With the title I think the $700 is a deal. If you can afford it, buy it. I'm going to title my rupp. I'm going to have around $200 in just the paperwork to even start getting a PA title. That paper is worth a lot of money. We see the same thing with specialty cars and old rare imports. Guys are looking for the paperwork.$$$
I just want to ride to the store for a gallon of milk not get a ticket. I think that would be a blast.

With the title I think the $700 is a deal. If you can afford it, buy it. I'm going to title my rupp. I'm going to have around $200 in just the paperwork to even start getting a PA title. That paper is worth a lot of money. We see the same thing with specialty cars and old rare imports. Guys are looking for the paperwork.$$$
I just want to ride to the store for a gallon of milk not get a ticket. I think that would be a blast.
RandyK,
I was kicking around the idea of building a Cushman type scooter/mini for the same reasons. I live in a small borough in PA and would like to be able to run to grocery store/pharmacy with the bike. My first hurdle would be to get the bike titled and then registered. I also heard that every component I use must be DOT approved, such as tires, lighting, etc.
I have this 16hp Briggs Vanguard horizontal sitting in my shed that is perfect for the build. Did you ever go to the antique car show or the Wheels of Time hot rod shows in Macungie, PA? There's a guy there who built a Cushman type bike and has a 30(?) hp fuel injected Briggs twin on it. It sounds almost identical to a Harley.

My '70 CT70 is registered in my name with personalized plate, but I have it non-opped since I don't want to have to pay for insurance on it.

Insurance may be a deal breaker in some states unless you use it a lot.

In my opinion it's just to hard to title something in PA. Well, I'll put it like this. To do it "correctly" you might as well forget it. You either need to get a out of state title first. Or "get creative" using lets say a special construction title and vin plate off of something that already "exists" Either of the two options are really the only way to go.
My Rupp has a Vin# so I'm going with option #1... N. Carolina title and then transferring it to Pa.
Once it has a title they hand you the tag. Insurance for me is around 80.00 a year for under 250cc. My dad has a Cushman insured and don't quote me but I think it's even less then that.
To do it right Penn Dot makes it just about impossible. Like you said D.O.T everything, Photo's, state inspection and on and on.
My TT500 "looks" right, mirrors, lights..... I won't have any problems riding it around locally. As long as I have a tag, reg. and ins. card if I would get pulled over. I have no concerns what so ever.

Na, he's a good buddy of mine. He'll cut me a deal.
I was thinking on using it to go to the store as well.
Just to be different, that's all. :wink:

I couldn't pass it up. $600
$150 up front and $150 a month 'til paid off.
How could I say no. I got the original assembly manual,
the engine manual for the 5hp Tecumseh and the title. :thumbsup:

This is the one that started my collection.
$100 complete minus the engine. A bit of paint
and it's good to go. I ride it all the time. :thumbsup: