1971 rupp hs40 engine

THE GOOD
Listing for parts or restoration. I just plucked this motor from a 1971 roadster that I am currently fixing up. It is missing a few parts and has a few issues. but It is an original rupp engine with the 3/4 x 3" shaft and its got to be worth something to someone. It does have the lighting coil & flywheel. It does have excellent spark and it does have over 100psi compression on 2nd pull. Also, it does run good if you throw a carb on it. for this reason it makes me think that maybe it was rebuilt at one time, but I don't know any history on it. Piston and valves look o.k.
THE BAD
It is missing the entire governor assembly, internal and external. I am not sure if it was maybe being run with as a "widow" with a dellorto carb or something, but I did check inside and the entire mechanism is missing. No intake, carb, or exhaust are included.
also, some vulture robbed the springloaded
THE UGLY
Flywheel has a chipped tooth. Some meat-head probably used a screwdriver to hold it whilst he loosened the nut. The cam has the front half of 2 teeth chipped.(see pics). But the motor does start and run good and is and there is no metal in the case. makes me think someone did a cheap rebuild and didn't replace the cam.
Some jackhammer put a screw in the block where the governor arm would attach. probably to block oil from squirting out. (see pics)
one of the intake bolts was broken inside the block. I attempted to back it out with an easy-out by drilling through the bolt with 1/8 bit but I need more concentrated heat. My MAP torch is not going to cut it. I don't want to fluck it up, so I let it alone. I will re-attempt extraction once I get some oxygen for my torch.
----
anyway, I was hoping to get $100 and I will ship to you for free. Location is Mansfield MASS. Please let me know (and I'm sure somebody will) if I am out of line.
or... WILL TRADE FOR 71-75 RUPP STUFF!

----

Thanks
MIke

Last edited: