1971 rupp mini bike

ok, i was in the basement of my grandmothers basement and i came across this mini bike. i would really like to resore it, but it seems like i am going to need a few vintege parts. :thumbsup: here are some pics of what iam working with

Great find:thumbsup:, A 1971 Hustler. Looks like it got a diaphragm carburetor on it, I would replace it with a adjustable one with a float bowl from Rupp parts. You can get the correct throttle cable there to. Nice bike. What else does it need.

iam not sure right now, i tried to turn it over but it doesnt seem to want to start, i might need a new spark plug, did this modle need a fuel mixture? or is it ok with straight gas?

Its a four stroke engine no mixing of oil to gas,Check the crankcase for oil, Better yet!, Change it, And put 21 oz. of 30 SAE oil back in to it, in the rear oil plug on the engine. It has been sitting as long as it did the gas in the tank is probably bad and evaporated out of it over time. How clean is the inside of the tank. You may need to clean it up, Check the screen on the petcock and or replace the petcock if necessary. Also those carbs. like that can be a real pain when they have set for a long time, so it may not be working properly.Brandt with Ruppparts.com has a lot of Tecumseh engine parts he also sells on ebay. The spark plug should be a J8C champion, If I remember correctly.

Last edited:
ok so i found out a mouse was living in the exhaust....lost of rice came out:hammer:, and iam currently cleaning the gas tank, it was nastyyy :blink:

nice bike , if you end up needing points make shore you buy the tecumseh flywheel puller tool , if not you will mess up the crank shaft or the flywheel..

have you got any offers on it yet, i own a lot of rupp bikes & would love too have it also..

use some ultra fine steel wool on the chrome. it will look new again.