1973 honda z50

RSN

I picked up a pristine z50, completely perfect minus a small scratch in the honda sticker. I have pics on my phone - I'll put them in a bit. It's getting a clean up job and it will be street ready on Tuesday. It's very special. No rust. Looks like a million bucks to me.

Here is my question. I love what some folks have done to make these bikes have the cafe racer look - mostly the seat and handlebars. I don't want to damage the value of the bike... It's all original and runs great.

What would you all do? Below is a bike I love I found on the web.

Here is a link to an image of a bike identical to mine - except the paint - mine is metallic blue.
http://www.oocities.org/munkybusiness2000/Z50ak4/Z50ak4.htm

So... Do I leave it alone? Is it that special? Or is changing some things up ok - keeping the original parts safe in the garage?

Is it cooler having it all original? ( I can talk myself into either way)
Does anyone care.

I just want to cruise around the hood with it. Maybe find some like minded people in my area that are into them.

Any words of advice?

Thanks

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
if it's pristine as you say I'd personally leave it alone.you could build a café like that from a beat up one.just my opinion

but it's your bike,your decision

RSN

I keep going back to that in my mind. I think the bike has been cared for for 40 years and kept original. I thinks it my job to keep it that way.

Pics to come!

As long as it bolt on stuff you can always switch it back to original condition. There a lot of stuff to do to them.
I'm building a custom 69 hard tail z50 using a silver tag frame I purchased last summer.

RSN

Has a tiny bit of surface rust where the handlebars clamp on. It hasn't been cleaned - at all in this pic. It's filthy. The surface rust on that handlebar triangle piece should wipe right off with brass wool and some chrome polish.
Can't wait to see it shine!

Love this bike.

I'd leave that one alone.looks really clean

use sos on the chrome,just use it till the soapy stuff is still kinda there and then use a new pad.

Nice little bike. I would leave it as is also. The 72 to 78 in good shape are harder to find than the earlier ones I have found.
1972 and up cannot be registered for the street. They were produced for off road use only by Honda. That’s why the earlier one tend to bring more money.
Like other have said if you want to customize one find a beater but it’s your bike do what you want to it. Don’t worry they made millions of them.

RSN

Ah, didn't know the registration issue. Didn't plan on riding it legally anyway!
I just want to clean it up, ride it around and enjoy it. - found a "lilhonda" forum to learn more about them.

Gatecrasher

Yeah I wouldn't ruin a nice survivor like that one. It's worth at least twice as much as the one in your picture (probably more).

I'd go find a POS to make into a "café racer" or whatever.

Besides, the café racer in your picture is a 1960s vintage bike (pre-rear swing arm). Your new one is from the best era Honda made the Z50 in. It's the most-desirable style (swing arm rear suspension, chrome fenders, and lights) that everyone wants.

That is a nice find and I like the blue ones. :thumbsup: I would put a 88cc big bore kit with a trail 70 head on it and just ride it. maybe a Miniguns exhaust pipe if you can get one.

RSN

Yeah I wouldn't ruin a nice survivor like that one. It's worth at least twice as much as the one in your picture (probably more).

I'd go find a POS to make into a "café racer" or whatever.

Besides, the café racer in your picture is a 1960s vintage bike (pre-rear swing arm). Your new one is from the best era Honda made the Z50 in. It's the most-desirable style (swing arm rear suspension, chrome fenders, and lights) that everyone wants.
Thanks! Good advice.