1973 Princess Auto

I just bought this bike today a couple hrs from home. I'm just looking to get some more info on it for tracking down some parts that I need. Here is the info I have off the frame number tag and engine tag.

Princess Auto& Machinery Ltd Item # 1115038
Model : YM-B
Serial # PT0004
November 1973

Tecumseh engine
Model HS40-554610
Serial #32670

The bike is 90% original down to the seat. It needs a few repairs and I need to track down a replacement rear brake housing.

45t

Looks like a rebadged Efenel Grand Prix or Taiwan made bike? Maybe, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'm looking for a replacement rear brake housing. My cable mounting lug is broke off and welding that stuff will be a chore

I'm planning on doing more of a resto mod thing on this bike. I'd like to "hot rod" it a bit with some engine work and Mikuni. Anyone have ideas on a carb? 20mm? Jetting?

I wouldn't do that.. You'll just end up ruining an almost impossible to replace motor.. If you're gonna hot rod it, i'd get a cheap briggs 5 horse to build..

adding a mikuni will most likely just end up slowing you down.. You'll play hell getting the rite jets in it, and setup to run like it should.. Then once ya do, it really is no great improvement.. The engine is only limitied by it's valve train and ignition system and stuff..

It will flow a little more air, But once the engine is wound tight, it won't pull any more air than the stock carb, as the engine itself hits a wall...

The crank shafts in these motors do not seam to be very hard material.. I have seen PLENTY of these motors with a rod hole in the side of the block, and COUNTLESS MOTORS with SO MUCH rod knock, that the rod cap bolts are loose, and you can SEE THE UNDER SIZE in the crank with your eyeball...

tecumseh small blocks have a really light weight and light duty cam shaft and more than one of THOSE have broken in history..

Tecumseh parts have dried up and pistons, rings, valves, are all next to impossible to buy without a FAT bank account..

It's just a tiny little motor with no torque.. If you build the living piss out of it running on alcohol, it's STILL only going to have SO much power.. :shrug:

But it will destroy itself forever in no time.. TRYING to make the power a 5 horse briggs can produce with no oil in the crank case...

That machine although it's a tawian jobber, is REALLY CHERRY as far as old minibikes go.. I would just let it be what it is,, and find another bike to wreck.. OR AT THE VERY LEAST, show the Tecumseh some respect, and shelf it, or drive it like it's supposed to be...

Otherwise, you are basically saying

'WOW look how nice this 1940 Lincoln Zephyr is.. :eek:hmy: Original flathead V-TWELVE and all... I'm gonna throw 3 Holley 4 barrels on it, and make a mud truck"

:shrug:

I understand what your saying and you make good points. But with that said a Big Block Chevy made 375hp stock and we have built many with a GM block that have made 1600hp with blown alcohol setup. I will go through the engine properly and won't "wreck" it. My father has a engine machine shop and had been in the business 40years. Many Ford flathead purists would say a 6-71 supercharger on ruined it but I think it's bad ass being a hot rodder! Just my opinion though and I totally respect yours

OH hell I've hot rodded hundreds of them.. I'm just saying, you WILL burn it up trying to spin it's guts out.. aluminum bore, aluminum crank bearings and rod bearings.. lawn mower engines are NOT chevy big blocks.. :laugh:

a mikuni will damn near bolt onto the existing intake.. You probably want like 18 millimeter.. Like 7/8 of an inch maybe.. 3/4 to 7/8 bore..

Good points. Maybe I'll just freshen it up and put a kit in the stock carb. The governor setup is all seized up so I will have to track one down. I plan on powdercoating the frame and getting a few things rechromed and updated. I'd love I build a hot rod Taco one day with a alcohol burning jr dragster engine! Haha

i can't imagine the governor being in too bad of shape.. It's probably just the rod stuck in the bushing it rides in.. You'd have to fill the motor with water, dump it back out, leave the oil plugs and PCV out of it for 40 years to wreck anything...

Then it's just a plastic gear on a steel rod.. Pretty hard to seize it up..

You can put a mikuni and big ole pipe on it and stuff.. You just don't wanna go making 14:1 compression or trying to go 5,000 rpms all the time with it..

I need to track down a new brake and throttle cables. Where is the best place on line to buy them? I also need to find a new brake because the mounting tab is broke off for the cable.

OldMiniBikes Warehouse has most stuff.. When i buy NEW throttle cables I just go to walmart and buy one of those 6 dollar 4 packs of cables, and use the shifter cable ends.. There's always one cable about 90 feet long, and has the real small head on it, that works good for throttles..