1973 Rupp Roadster brake light switch is on all the time.

I recently purchased a new brake light switch for my 1973 Rupp Roadster and now I have continuity all the time between the 2 spade connectors even when the brake is not apply. There is about 1”of free playIs on the brake lever until brake are ingage. Is there any adjustment on this switch or did I just get a bad switch? Any help will be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Here are some pictures, I attach the brakes light wires tonight and when the engine is running the brake light is constantly on. I try to to push and pull on the brake light switch when running but that didn’t help. Pull on the brake lever also didn’t do anything. Can I pull the switch apart to see what is the problem? Just wondering if these brake light switches and know for this problem? What would be my next step in trying to correct this? Thanks any suggestions will be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

If I unplug the switch the brake light goes out and the tail light switch is on. The tail light is a lot dimmer light. The bulb is a 2 filament 1157. I never worked on this kind of brake light switch. Thanks

Don't be scared to take it apart for some troubleshooting and TLC.
You should be able to SEE metal to metal contact. It's pretty simple. When "off" there should be an insulator of some type, I would GUESS rubber, between the terminals.
It if's not there, make one. If it is there, realign it and put some dielectric grease in the switch. That will keep water, corrosion and bugs out.
It will also lubricate and insulate everything.
Make sure that washer in the middle is INSIDE the holes on your connectors. They should not be touching the metal cable or the housing.;)

Thank you for that excellent advice, I will take it apart tomorrow. If I have an issue or question with the switch when I have it apart I will post a picture of it. Thanks again sparkwizard.

It was painted that color when I bought it. I was thinking about painting the frame purple over the winter like the earlier Roadster. Just wondering other people opinions on a completely painted purple bike or should I leave the frame black. Thanks

Sparkwizard I took the brake light switch apart today. It is a very simple switch. My problem is it is so sensitive it comes on so easy. I was just wondering can I file the contract down so it wouldn’t be so sensitive. I could also try a bigger o ring but I probably have to buy another new inside cable. The new one I just bought frayed some when I cut the excess off it so if I pulled it out it probably won’t slid back in. Any other suggestions will be great. Thanks again

Attachments

f4radar

It was painted that color when I bought it. I was thinking about painting the frame purple over the winter like the earlier Roadster. Just wondering other people opinions on a completely painted purple bike or should I leave the frame black. Thanks
I think that since it's so "correct looking" for a 73 I would leave the frame black. I like the contrast, the black kind of showcases the purple.