1976 Yamaha DT-400 Enduro

Does any one here own one. I have the chance to pick up a fairly nice DT400 and was wanting some opinions on reliability, maintenance and some pros and cons.

Last edited:
I had a '78 DT 400, Just sold it last summer, I loved that bike, a great little rider, the 400cc 2 stroke delivers really nice power, great for buzzing around town or hitting the trails. Not really a great bike for all out motocross, nor a very good bike for serious freeway travel, a bit light and underpowered for the interstate, but great in town. Honestly wish I still had mine.
Here is a video of my '78 DT 400
YouTube - ride on the '78 DT 400.mpg

My brothers would barley and I do mean barley hit 65.
Then something must have been wrong, IMO. That bike should be good for another 10-15 mph w/stock gearing - not that you'd want to run at 75 mph for any length of time. Did he have a big sprocket on the back end?

The bike in the pic is sweet. Wish it was available in my neighborhood.

Then something must have been wrong, IMO. That bike should be good for another 10-15 mph w/stock gearing - not that you'd want to run at 75 mph for any length of time. Did he have a big sprocket on the back end?

The bike in the pic is sweet. Wish it was available in my neighborhood.
Not sure when he had got it some one stripped alot of parts off it to make it a mx bike.

Not sure when he had got it some one stripped alot of parts off it to make it a mx bike.
well that tells something , im betting that they put a tall tail on it . my dt 250 would do 75+ wide out .
the only big bike i had that was real slow for its size was my honda cb 550 k . it was a slug 55mph maxed out red line 5th gear . my yahama 100 could out run the thing . never could figure out why it was so slow :shrug:

I had more than a dozen different enduro/mx bikes back in the 70's, and the Yamaha DT series bikes were my favorite...

Great powerband, excellent durability...and I literally rode the hell out of them every single day.

I have a 78 DT400 with stock gearing. Jesse is right on speed. Mine will run 62-65 MPH for fairly long distances but not much higher than that. fun bike but range is really limited. Tank is about 2.5 gallons and it only gets about 25 MPG.

No! The MotherF@%#er was a douche bag. I went and test rode it and everything was all lined up. We had planned on me coming back the next day and picking it up. Low and behold he sends me a text and says that his next door neighbor bought it. Oh well. Thats funny that you asked. I'm looking at the one in Austin right now. I'm just not sure about the price. Theres also one in Houston, but its even more$$$. Did you get the Animal yet?

No! The MotherF@%#er was a douche bag. I went and test rode it and everything was all lined up. We had planned on me coming back the next day and picking it up. Low and behold he sends me a text and says that his next door neighbor bought it. Oh well. Thats funny that you asked. I'm looking at the one in Austin right now. I'm just not sure about the price. Theres also one in Houston, but its even more$$$. Did you get the Animal yet?
That blows!
Animal should be here by end of day today.:bowdown: